[PLOG] BlackPhantom's army

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Blackphantom
Shade

[PLOG] BlackPhantom's army

Post by Blackphantom »

I have not been in this hobby for long, and i have painted but a few miniatures in that time, so i don't consider myself to be a very good painter. Although i can defenitely see that i'm improving. and that is one of the reason's i'm doing this plog. Because getting feedback from a community with some seriously gifted painters, is always welcome ;)

okay, so i will first show some pictures of what i already did before, keep in mind i really dislike painting flesh and metallics. (things i really need to work on)
If you want to take a look at all the other pictures of my army, follow this link.

First off, is the only hero i have, and one of the first models i did that i like.
she still has the old purple painting scheme. I switched over to blue later.

after that i got a batallion, and made 28 Rxb out of it. (18 or so are still unpainted, and i bought that thing 2 yrs ago)
I first did it's armour metallic, like this.

But it didn't quite feel right, so then i did a corsair. and just painted the armour blue ;) I improved my technique on a second corsair, although it's mainly just drybrushing...
ImageImageImage

After this i did some RxB's in blue, although the armour didn't quite look like i wanted it to, i liked it better than the metallic one :)

Then it was up to paint a Cold one, I tried my best, and the result was quite nice.

ofcourse i needed to top this, and one week later, i painted this one.
I am REALLY happy with how this one turned out, and it wasn't even too hard to do. washes ftw!

I then proceeded to paint a knight, but i don't quite like him... must be the metallics and the messed up shield...
ImageImageImage

Now, for the last miniature I did, I did a corsair. I changed the scheme for the cloak to brown instead of green, (i also noticed the ?foldings? of the cloak on the back, are from the cloak and not the armour, i did them blue in the previous one, so now that's brown as well.)
I also gave layering a try, i never quite did it before, but now i did on the armour. And i'm really happy with the way he looks now.
When i did my final highlight, which was pure ice blue, i realised it was a mistake, cause it was too light. + i kinda accidentally painted in a recess :o
I went over it with necron abyss, the color i started out from, and then put an asurmen blue wash over it to darken it. I also threw a blue glaze over it just to be sure. (first time using the glaze actually). since I didn't like the results from the GW spray can varnish, I used matt varnish from Vallejo for this model. (first time using this varnish as well :p). All together, the armour came out quite nice. The only thing i dislike about this model, is it's face. I didn't do the eyes because i actually tried, messed up (twice), and gave up on it.
ImageImageImage

And that's it so far... next up are 15 more corsairs, 18 or so RxB and the rest of my Cold One's before i move on to the rest of my army.

I hope to get some positive feedback on this, so i can improve my painting even further ;)
and i also hope i didn't waste your time :p

BlackPhantom
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] BlackPhantom's army

Post by Amboadine »

First of all, thanks for sharing. Always a little scary to open yourself up to criticism.
Generally I think you have a fairly decent colour scheme throughout, I like the cold ones especially, but as you said need to work on skin and metallics.

The first thing I would suggest for the skin tone, is try an ink wash to give you the depth of shading. I find chestnut works fairly well with a normal skin colour, obviously if you want more exotic tones you need to adjust. Try using a base skin colour, then ink wash, then highlight with the original colour again, leaving only the deep recesses dark. This eliminates the messy look of dried ink on raised parts of the model and gives you a nice base from which to highlight from. At that point I would look at painting from the eyes outwards.

I like to build up in layers from there in gradually lighter tones, rather than just a single much lighter highlight around the edge.

If you are uncomfortable with natural skin tones, have you considered other shades, if you look around the forum, you will see some examples of grey and blue tones that are very effective and sometimes easier to paint as you are not trying to exactly represent what you would see as normal caucasian tones.

Hope that helps.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Cold Ones are exceptional.

If you can keep the same standard on the rest of your troops as on the Dinos then you will have a display quality (i.e. > tabletop quality) army.

PS Love the blue tone on the Corsair armour.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Wiggen
Corsair

Post by Wiggen »

I think you have potential to be a really good painter, what you have done so far is pretty good, esp the cold one, that looks really good. The corsairs look nice aswell, good choice of colours

I can only agree with Amboadine regarding flesh and using washes.

Also with your drybrushed parts, try and add a glaze or a thin wash ontop of it (i really like the guilliman blue glaze from citadel do use on my blues), could make it look abit smoother, also it would tone it down abit if you went to bright with the highlights, it will tint the colour abit tho so be careful with what wash you pick
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

update:
my exams end this tuesday, i will commence finishing up my corsair unit then, i hope to have 12 out of the remaining 15 finished by the end of februari. I'll post pictures just before i do my command then.