Transporting Hydras & Cauldrons

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Transporting Hydras & Cauldrons

Post by Daeron »

Greetings,

Now there's a practical issue I hadn't taught of when I bought them. How does one transport the new, large Hydra, Kharybdis, Shrine or Cauldron of Blood?
I was looking into buying a new army carrier bag, but these models alone could easily double the space required in such a bag to carry them safely. Perhaps I ought to build my own bag or solution but before I go there, I'd like to see what other people have been doing.

Cheers,
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Transporting Hydras & Cauldrons

Post by Thraundil »

I have a small plastic box with a clip-on lid (dont know how to properly describe it). Its like, 50x35 cm and then maybe 40 cm deep or something like this. It fits into my backpack rather nicely. Then I bought a roll of 10-12 mm thick foam, cut them into layers. A layer of foam, a layer of models, a layer of foam, a layer of models. Big models are fitted in by simply cutting the foam to adjust, and then pack the sides of the biggies with the cut-outs. Its by no means perfect, and I cant transport much more than 2400 points worth of models, and even then I have to work to make them all fit. When packed, though, I can literally shake the box and there will be no rattling from models.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

In the past I have either bought the deep pick-apart foam for my cases, or cut parts of other trays away to create a double-depth area when they're stacked.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'm currently (albeit slowly) working on magnetizing my carrier box, might even get a bigger one so I can magnetize the lid and have plastic minis hang from the "ceiling" ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Dalamar wrote: so I can magnetize the lid and have plastic minis hang from the "ceiling" ;)

Living dangerous, Dalamar :lol:

@ Daeron

A large scale stationary warehouse, like:

http://www.staples.co.uk/

Should do plastic boxes of various sizes. I got two square ones and they are perfect for transporting large (and small) minis. Magnetise and you should do fine.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

magnetized for me.

i went with battlefoam for my Ogres and Dark Eldar, paid like 400$ total, and in the end, the tray are so tight and hard, it still rubs paint off....

Once everything is magnetized ; http://www.tablewar.com/display-tower-f ... -red-blue/
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

My regular high elf opponent has this case and it seems to work like a charm for him.
7th edition army book:

Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

how much models would fit in that thing? and howmuch extra stuff would need to be bought?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

He fits his entire 2500 points army in there and always has extra units inside just hanging out.
7th edition army book:

Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

i just checked out a video for it,
it seems that the trays are for 40k
now i did see on the site they have other trays, without the round things. but i was wondering what the best way to transport a Fantasy army would be, just a tin sheet and put magnetized movement trays on it? or something else? the case itself looks neat though, might just be what i was looking for.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

We (my boyfriend who actually plays the army and I) don't have any of the new big models yet, but we have also magnetisd the army - magnets under the bases, metal movement trays and metal box (a huge one bought in a DIY store, meant for transporting tools). Then we just place more magnets under the movement trays, securing them to the box itself and it works like charm.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Blackphantom
Shade

Post by Blackphantom »

Rowena wrote:We (my boyfriend who actually plays the army and I) don't have any of the new big models yet, but we have also magnetisd the army - magnets under the bases, metal movement trays and metal box (a huge one bought in a DIY store, meant for transporting tools). Then we just place more magnets under the movement trays, securing them to the box itself and it works like charm.

what kind of metal do you use for the movement trays? and what kind of box? (qua size)
i'm sorry to bug you with all of these questions :p, i'm just looking for the easiest way to transport my mini's (that isn't awfully expensive)
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

@Blackphantom, I use metal sheets bought from home depot. I also bring a magnet with me to make sure the metal I buy is magnetic. I once bought an aluminum sheet which wasnt, and only found out when I got home. Use aviation snips to cut the sheets to size.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

if you have extra money, i bough magnetic tray and base from Back-2-Base-IX, and they are wonderful. MDF with magnet and metal base, great stuff.

Once that is done, a simple sheet of metal to lock everything on it
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Enkiel wrote:i went with battlefoam for my Ogres and Dark Eldar, paid like 400$ total, and in the end, the tray are so tight and hard, it still rubs paint off....
Once everything is magnetized ; http://www.tablewar.com/display-tower-f ... -red-blue/

I like the concept a lot, but the mark II is even more expensive than 720 BattleFoam. It does look promising in terms of transporting large models, but it may require some planning/work to make it work perfectly.

Hm. My models are magnetized, but would I trust that enough for transport? I'm not sure. I've never seen the magnets fail, I must confess. I have seen the glue between magnet and base fail though. I fear that once a model comes loose, it will rattle on everything.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Daeron wrote:Hm. My models are magnetized, but would I trust that enough for transport? I'm not sure. I've never seen the magnets fail, I must confess. I have seen the glue between magnet and base fail though. I fear that once a model comes loose, it will rattle on everything.

unless you decided to throw them down the stairs, it shouldnt be much of an issue..

to me, battlefoam is done. If you even do an insert on your base, you're done, the model won't fit in the hole...
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Blackphantom wrote:
Rowena wrote:We (my boyfriend who actually plays the army and I) don't have any of the new big models yet, but we have also magnetisd the army - magnets under the bases, metal movement trays and metal box (a huge one bought in a DIY store, meant for transporting tools). Then we just place more magnets under the movement trays, securing them to the box itself and it works like charm.

what kind of metal do you use for the movement trays? and what kind of box? (qua size)
i'm sorry to bug you with all of these questions :p, i'm just looking for the easiest way to transport my mini's (that isn't awfully expensive)

I can ask my boyfriend to measure the box for you. The main part is that it's simple (all the sides are completely flat, which wasn't the case of most toolboxes we saw). The metal I got from a friend, so I don't know exactly what kind it is, but I think any metallic sheet would do.
I would love to help more, but I'm not sure if I can, sorry. :(
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

430 x 280 x 275 mm. The bottom can easily accomodate six movement trays of 5x4 infantry, for example. And there is enough room for a second floor. You put your models on a metallic plate, fasten it to some clever mechanism in the box we have yet to devise and then eject it as a whole again.

I would not dare to hang models from the ceiling, though. You cannot avoid some shaking during transportation and something might fall down. I suppose it depends on the strength of your magnets and your fear. :)

Shaking is actually a downside of this means of transport. Everything carries over to your models without being softened by foam or something.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Marchosias wrote:430 x 280 x 275 mm. The bottom can easily accomodate six movement trays of 5x4 infantry, for example. And there is enough room for a second floor. You put your models on a metallic plate, fasten it to some clever mechanism in the box we have yet to devise and then eject it as a whole again.

I would not dare to hang models from the ceiling, though. You cannot avoid some shaking during transportation and something might fall down. I suppose it depends on the strength of your magnets and your fear. :)

Shaking is actually a downside of this means of transport. Everything carries over to your models without being softened by foam or something.

Thanks for measuring the box!
The clever mechanism could actually be quite simple, I would just glue a polystyrene board (or something similar) to two sides and made a dent in it for the second floor, which would be made from a metal sheet cut to fit. (I hope it's understandable, it's quite late here where I live :D )
My painting blog

Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

If you already have battle foam, you can get trays that are 6" thick (or was 6.5" that was needed?).
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image