Darkshards with Shields

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Darkshards with Shields

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I had a $35 gift certificate to a local gaming store and with the expiration date coming up, I picked up one of the new warrior boxes with the intent of making them into Darkshards to replace some older models that aren't up to my current standards.

I frequently give my Darkshards shields to make them a bit more durable. But the kits have left arms modeled onto the backs of the shields, and all the crossbows are held in left hands. In light of this, is there any feasible way to model my Darkshards with shields? Do I need to use shields from the old warriors box?
Truly These are the End Times ...
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Darkshards with Shields

Post by direweasel »

Yeah I'm not familiar with the new warriors box, but if I were in that situation I'd either

- snip the arms if it's feasible to do so without causing problems, or if that's not an option
- find some old shields off of bits from eBay or some such and use those.

I'm like you, I put shields on my crossbowmen, and sling them over their backs. But if there's a hand on there, that makes that kinda tough to do.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I have plenty of the old shields, but would prefer not to use them (they are too thick), and the arms on the backs of the new shields are not easily removed.

I just realized I have cold one knight shields that could do the trick.
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

I know the new shield arms aren't easily removed but at least you don't have to remove them neatly as they will be glued on the damaged side.
I just realised I always run mine with shields, but haven't modelled any on to my newest models :oops:
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Khaleth Blackheart wrote:I know the new shield arms aren't easily removed but at least you don't have to remove them neatly as they will be glued on the damaged side.
I just realised I always run mine with shields, but haven't modelled any on to my newest models :oops:

Some people are very particular about their forces being 100% WYSIWYG, and I understand that desire, but at the same time, most reasonable opponents are just fine with "these crossbowmen have shields", and not go looking around on the model trying to find them shown there.

I am starting to think I'm about the only person left in my little area who thinks you should only field at least MOSTLY painted models. I've seen whole armies fielded with nary a scrap of paint on them anywhere. I've even seen a front row of minis and then dice behind them for how many other minis are in the unit. You put 5 witch elves on a base, with dice behind them showing 20, and that's now 25 witch elves. Now, given the price of models, I can understand that to a point, especially if you're trying out a new army or just getting started, but I've seen people using the same army for an extended period pulling that stuff.

Anyway, I guess I'm getting old enough now that I'm going for the title of "old fuddy duddy" that actually expects painted miniatures when playing a miniatures-based wargame.

Back on point, I'm the PITA in our gaming group, and even I wouldn't stress about whether you model the shields. So I would only worry about it if your gaming group is full of anal retentive blowhards like me :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

direweasel wrote:[So I would only worry about it if your gaming group is full of anal retentive blowhards like me :)

Unfortunately I'm the anal-retentive one. Not about anyone else, but about my army.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
direweasel wrote:[So I would only worry about it if your gaming group is full of anal retentive blowhards like me :)

Unfortunately I'm the anal-retentive one. Not about anyone else, but about my army.

Welcome to the club then :)

Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

direweasel wrote:I am starting to think I'm about the only person left in my little area who thinks you should only field at least MOSTLY ONLY painted models.

Fixed that for you.

And you are not alone.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I was trying to be nice Payce, but yeah. And I have to admit to fielding my Manticore Beastmaster once when he was only about 90% done. I don't think anybody but me even knew it wasn't done, but I knew and it bothered me. =P

Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

@Dyvim - Instead of regular shields, you could try converting the front rank to have pavises.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Brad wrote:@Dyvim - Instead of regular shields, you could try converting the front rank to have pavises.

This gets me thinking. Maybe the way to do it is to make a movement tray with pavises built into the leading edge of the movement tray. That way, you can just paint the models up without shields, then use a different movement tray depending on whether or not you bought them shields in that particular army.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's what I did for buckeye last year... still have those shields with bottom tips cut off lying around somewhere. I've come to a conclusion that shields on crossbows is a bit of a waste since then.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm looking into alternative solutions myself. I prefer the unit with shields, but the modelling is a .. pain..
I'm considering a unit filler with a shield logo or a filler with an overarching "smoke" (or something) that looks like a protective spell cast over the unit.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Cutting the arm off and placing them on the back of the model is probably the easiest to go (make sure you do this before gluing them to the bases though!) and imo looks pretty good (i'm biased I did it to my darkshards!)
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

Payce wrote:
direweasel wrote:I am starting to think I'm about the only person left in my little area who thinks you should only field at least MOSTLY ONLY painted models.

Fixed that for you.

And you are not alone.

Confession time - I only put fully painted models on the battlefield too :?
One of my smaller darkshard units are the older models and I tried to position the shields in front so the DE is protected behind it, and if possible resting the crossbow on top.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270