Which glue to use ?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Frankthetank431
Slave on the Altar

Which glue to use ?

Post by Frankthetank431 »

I don't if this has bin ask but what's the best glue for medal models ?
Enkiel
Assassin

Re: Which glue to use ?

Post by Enkiel »

Metal is about the shittiest thing to glue.

One thing i can tell you ; if you want it to stick, dont use accelerator ; the bond get weaker that way.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I have some GF9 glue that works pretty well. But you have to hold the pieces together for a good half-minute. I bought a little clampy thing with a magnifying glass that I use sometimes with good effect.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Since I started using Loctite Precision super glue, I've never looked back. It's amazing.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

direweasel wrote:I have some GF9 glue that works pretty well. But you have to hold the pieces together for a good half-minute.

I highly recommend getting a superglue accelerant spray. No more holding while the stuff sets.
Truly These are the End Times ...
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Well like Enkiel said, when you use that, the bond isn't as strong. I have it but don't use it much.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Frankthetank431
Slave on the Altar

Post by Frankthetank431 »

Payce wrote:Since I started using Loctite Precision super glue, I've never looked back. It's amazing.

Where can I get this glue?
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Frankthetank431 wrote:
Payce wrote:Since I started using Loctite Precision super glue, I've never looked back. It's amazing.

Where can I get this glue?

Most good hardware stores will likely stock it, as Loctite is a huge international brand. If you're by some chance you're in Scandinavia, Clas Olsson, Teknikmagasinet and Jula stocks it at a reasonable price.

UK, John Lewis stocks it and sells it online.

US, try Amazon or your local hardware store.

Bottle looks like this:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yeah, Loctite has served me and many of my fellow gamers well. I recommend it as well. Most brand name super glues work well, but be a little leary of non-brand (or cheap imitation brands) versions as many are watery and require more effort for sticking.

You can also use pins and greenstuff to help in some instances.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

+1 for pins and greenstuff; it gives the glue much better support, and surfaces to bond to!
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

That stuff looks exactly like the super glue in fallout! perhaps a bit smaller. The superglue we get here is just in wee tubes.
For metal I use any superglue on the market, even cheap knock-off super glue seems to work. The plus with cheap super glue is you can spread it around on a base, sprinkle it with sand and build up rock hard gap fillers very easily. I use that mix under larger rocks to give it stability.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

I find most superglue to work fine so long as you have a good surface to join.

If you've an ok surface, a tiny ball of greenstuff between two surfaces each with a very thin layer of superglue works.

If you've a meh kinda surface then pin and greenstuff to hide the join.

Failing all else, a 2 part epoxy glue will hold stuff no matter what, but is tricky to use (takes 5 min to dry and at first isn't particularly viscous) and should only be used in well ventilated areas.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Dyvim tvar wrote:
direweasel wrote:I have some GF9 glue that works pretty well. But you have to hold the pieces together for a good half-minute.

I highly recommend getting a superglue accelerant spray. No more holding while the stuff sets.

Just huff on the joins before pressing together - the moisture in your breath will accelerate the curing process.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0