MeuhMeuh's PLOG

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
MeuhMeuh
Slave on the Altar

MeuhMeuh's PLOG

Post by MeuhMeuh »

Hello everyone !

I'll start the painting log of my fresh Dark Elve army.
For starters, a bit about me : I paint and play warhammer models since only one year, mostly dwarves, and I wish to start a Druchii host despite the dawn of 9th edition... It's been almost 6 mounths since I wanted to do that, and I don't know the exact reason that pushed me into starting it right now but it's already ongoing !

Here are some tryouts at models I've had for a long time. I'm almost sure I'll keep this colour scheme. The theme of the army is a "darkfire" brotherhood, a HE army that lost faith in Ulthuan after the events of Khaine, and turned toward Malekith's ruling. This means I'll mostly be using HE models for my army. The mages will be male only.

This is pretty much it. Here are my first attempts at elvish kin !

Mage :

Executionners (I know, this is wierd using phoenyx guard for them, I was thinking about some conversions for them but I like their vanilla look, and their weapons remind me of chopping block "tools" anyway :P)

Shade (I'll be using bows depsite wysiwig needs. The flaming ones from Sister of Avelorn look terrific for the darkfire theme of my army).

Those are almost finished models, I mostly need to find a way to get the skins, bone coloured wood from weapons and black tissues to look better. Neither of them has received wash yet as I'm not sure what to use.

Here is the method I use for them at the moment :

-Gold : Gehena's Gold Base, Shining Gold soft dry brush, Gryphon Sepia wash, Burnished gold layers
-Skin : Bugman's glow Base, Cadian FLeshstone layer (need help there !)
-Metal : Leabelcher Base, Ironbreaker large layers, Nuln Oil wash, Runefang Steel layer
-Red / Flaming parts : Khorne Red base, Evil Sunz Scarlet large layers, 50/50 Evil Sunz + Trollslayer Orange layers, Troll Slayer Orange fine layers
-Black tissues : Abadon Black Base, 50/50 Abadon Black + Mechanicus Std Grey Large layer, Mechanicus layer, Dawnstone fine layer

The bone part are simply Steel Drab Legion base and screaming Skull all over.

I mostly don't know when and which wash use for most of the part of my models. On the black tissue for exemple, the phoenyx guard had a Nuln Oil wash on but it turned my layers into something dirty and pigmented. I think I'm better off without it.

The bone parts are hard, I'm not use to paint light colours and I don't know how to improve them. Same goes with the skins. There I also need help !

I'm fine with the look of the redish/flames, and the copperish gold that goes well with it. The metal looks also fine to me.

Finally : I'm not convinced with the colours of the Shade. The leather boots looks strange with the rest of the colour scheme, as the red gloves do. I really don't know what colour to use for both of this parts ! Any thoughs ?
Booah
Warrior

Re: MeuhMeuh's PLOG

Post by Booah »

Glad to see you starting up a plog. It really helps with motivation.

Looking good so far. In terms of skin you could try a reikland flesh wash and then Kislev highlights on the nose cheeks, ears. Or you could go paler and go for pallid wych flesh. Best thing to do is have a bit of an experiment and see which tone you prefer. I love to use washes but find they do some times dirty up your nice layers, you can always wash and then go over the majority with the original colour. As for the shades it might work better with black or dark brown boots. Again try and test a few out before deciding on your favourite.