[AoS PLOG] Khorne Warband

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

[AoS PLOG] Khorne Warband

Post by Daeron »

Not entirely Dark Elf-y but I thought I'd report on my painting work. I will be continuing my dark elves for 8th edition as well, in their respective plog.
So, I bought the Age of Sigmar starter set and I started my assembly line. My main goal is to assemble the Khorne Warband ASAP so it can be used in the game to play the narrative campaign with my (Sigmarine loving) opponents. Next will be painting them. As I like the default theme they present on Warhammer TV, I'll be following those (quite impressive) guides.

After this warband, we'll see what the future campaigns bring. I might focus a bit more on my Elves after that, and maybe throw in my old Chaos warriors to expand the warband. Another option is buying a second starter set to expand the army cheaply. I haven't decided whether or not to actually play the Sigmarines from the box as well. With 2 starter kits that's a good start for a Sigmarine army but... ... ... ... (x 10)
Maybe I'm not too crazy about them (yet) :P

Blood! Khorne and Khaine demand it!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [AoS PLOG] Khorne Warband

Post by Daeron »

Assembly stage! Almost finished. Apparently I'm a 32mm base short heh! And got a 40mm base extra. The Khorne BSB looks like he could fit on either a 32mm and a 40mm base, but the assembly book and pictures show him on a 32mm base.

The assembly was quite a bit of fun. The regular troopers only need 2 to 4 pieces. Few mold lines, little work on them, and pretty good glue surfaces made it quick work.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Just visited the G.W. store and explained my base issue. They offered me a 32mm base for free. Nice!
I'll be finishing the last Khorne model tonight, and ready the bases.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They are quite nice models - look forward to seeing them painted.

I have caught the Chaos bug this week as well and have been painting up some models for Regiment of Renown.
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

Great start, I'm gonna do the sigmar side first as I've been painting chaos for the last few months alongside my dark elves. Looking forward to seeing progress
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The skin based and shaded. Added the pink for the scars, which turned out a lot more pronounced than expected, but luckily highlights later on will soften that.

Then I started basecoating the brass and speed took a nosedive! There is an insane amount of details and it took me a short evening for only 6models. Phew. More to come this week.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Looks good already!
Not found of chaos in armor but these... turn out nice!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looking great.

It's going to be harder to paint units now I think - with no movement trays in the new game you can no longer get away with doing a quick paint job on the back models. Also the new models these days just have some amazing details on them that you just did not get a few years back. Naturally it will take longer to paint.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I was considering splitting the bacth up in two sets of ten, but I was enjoying the copper painting so much I kept going ;)
I ended up painting in in thinned layers. It seems the metal paint tends to clog some details if you don't. This took more time as I became more caution with every model. I'm not convinced doing the brass first was the best choice for some details, but it works.

I started the red, but had to stop when tiredness made me commit too many errors. More to come, more to come.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Your a machine - can you paint the rest of my corsairs when you have finished. I got half way though 20 and then got stuck :(
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hehe! We've all been there. And Corsairs just eat up time! I remember finishing one batch of 10 and getting stuck on the next batch. They go so slowly, for some reason.
Perhaps I should dare them again, considering my latest painting sprees.

What are your tricks to help you going?
I try to play themed music in the background :P And posting pictures, at least once every 2-3 days, keeps the pressure of progress even if the progress seems small.
(And I tend to listen to my "watch later" list on youtube. There's so many warhammer youtubers that can't cut to the point and take 2 hours to explain 10 mins of wisdom. If only my iPad would allow me to play my movies at 1.5 speed as well :P )

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What are your tricks to help you going?

I keep getting side tracked at the moment. I started my second unit of twenty, 3 or so months ago then got distracted making silicon moulds for some scenery and then a tower, then went back to a Regiments of Renown troop I have been working on. Cleared out some bits - now hoping to get back in the swing of things for Armies on Parade again later in the year.

Short projects keep me going at the moment - tackling the larger ones I find hard work, it can take up to a month to get them finished. I like to paint at night, weekends when the mrs will let me :)

I should try some of those videos you mention.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Wow, they look so nice and you are doing them in such speed!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yesterday I managed to finish the red basecoat. I will need to pass over some bits of copper again, but I'll continue the other basecoats first.
The red adds a surprising amount of character. Another surprise is that I realised that some of these decorations and details can be painted in different colours, depending on preference:red, copper, metal, black. And even a mixture of any of these work as long as some pieces are red and some pieces are copper.
Fun! But a little confusing :P

Meanwhile I started on the boltgun metal basecoat. It looks very clean with just the basecoat, but the video explains it should look rougher after the wash.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice job so far. Colours are classic, but stand out against each other nicely.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

a classic scheme indeed, but I always was tempted to start a Khorne, mortal army and this box set... Well... It was just the perfect match. Another reason why i'm sticking with the video scheme is simply to learn. A buddy is working om his Nagash model following, mostly, the video and he claimed to have learned a great deal by it. I'm not sure if Bloodreavers will offer the same learning challenge, but ... I was happy to try it :)

Anyhow, my progress of this night's work: finished the metal.

- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Nice 8)

AoS does look good on the tabletop, I'll give it that :)

Looking forward to the finished result.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Right. I didn't report for a while but I did paint.

I finished the metal, then did the bases. I will add some herbs and details to the bases later.
I did the rhinox hide on the pants and that deep, thick brown colour felt like smearing chocolate on these half naked, muscular men. I did a few checks along the process and was relieved to see they weren't grinning and had not traded their marks of Khorne for Slaneesh.
I started working on the leather bands and straps and whow... that is going to be another painfully slow job. It just eats time, with all the details, and you better work in thin layers to avoid clogging up the details.
All in all, I'm still pleased with how they are turning out. Especially the base has added some live to the models and I can't wait to finish them.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Definitely coming along nicely. Leather is always a rather time consuming task.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Nice going!
The details on these miniatures are incredible
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

So I cleaned up some of the parts I forgot on those minis... And did 7 more.

I kind of had to push myself to keep going there. The progress is really slow, and it almost felt like I would need all week just for the leather. But a push to 10 makes me hopeful to finish this sooner and perhaps... Perhaps finish the base coats this week.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Keep up the good work - I've finally cleared my desk and back to my Corsairs again now - they have been sitting there for 4 months.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

That's great Cult of Khaine :)
I've been shoving my Dreadspears around a couple of times and it made me realize how much I want to finish them. And my Corsairs. And my Dark Steeds.
But first, the Bloodreavers! My wife always steals the tablet before I finish painting and can take a picture so I'll post my progress tonight :D
I finished all the basecoats last week, and yesterday I went over all the models to retouch the base coats where needed. With a little luck I'll have a pre-wash and post-wash picture tonight.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

So here's a picture of the completed base coats. I did the shading tonight but i didn't get a chance to make the pic yet.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking good. Some solid progress there.