[AoS PLOG] Khorne Warband

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [AoS PLOG] Khorne Warband

Post by Daeron »

I was quiet, but didn't stop painting ;)
We're almost there. Only the champ and the banner need some work. Then I'll give the whole unit another pass for touch ups.

I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Coming along, looking forward to the finished article.

What is next for the Warband?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well, I'm tempted to finish some Dark Elves first while I ponder on my next move for the Warband. The next step is the Blood Warriors, but I haven't decided how many I'll paint in a single batch. I want to expand this warband, probably by adding another starter box and a blood warrior kit. So I can buy them all, and paint 20 at once, or I could buy either a new starter box or the new kit and pay 10 at once. Alternatively, I could just paint the 5 that I have and the blood secrator (but then I risk having to paint 3 batches in total).

I try to evaluate what strategy I'd prefer based on my work on these blood reavers. Painting 20 Bloodreavers at once gave slow progress, but it was "easy" and rewarding. The easy part is that I could paint one or two coats per evening only, so I needed max 2 pots of paint on one single evening. The rewarding part is that, after this job is done, I have got a whole unit. I found it's a bit discouraging to spend a lot of time painting models only to have "half" a unit or a minimalistic unit.

I fear painting 5 blood warriors will take time, only to give me a minimalistic unit. On the other hand, it would bring my starter box to near completion.
This is what's currently playing in my mind :P

So while I make up my mind, I'll probably paint up another 10 Dreadspears or something :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

And finished. I hope to make some pictures tonight. I might give them a rest for another day for final touches and fixes before spraying them with purity seal.

- The stiff breeze
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

They look great already, but looking forward to seeing the final version.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:And finished. I hope to make some pictures tonight. I might give them a rest for another day for final touches and fixes before spraying them with purity seal.

How do you find the finish changes with purity seal?
Last varnish I used from GW made the models too shiny (this was 10 yrs ago) and I have stopped using it since and just leave my models unvarnished.

Has the quality of the varnish improved these days?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I don't know. I use a 10 year old varnish. It never bothered me on my warriors, because they're basically all covered in armour. I'll give an old bret model a test before I spray it on my Khorne dudes.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

So... What I think I need to finish are teeth and eyes. And that small glitch on the champ :P

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very impressed with how these turned out. Nice work.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Awesome job - they look great!

Have you thought about putting anything further on the bases? perhaps some dry grass tufts or snow (very minimal)

With regards to sealing models you can't go past "Testors Dull Coat" been using it for year - best matt spray on the market IMO.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yes. I'll be adding a few skulls and tufts to the bases. I'll try to find a can of that dull coat, since it's so highly recommended.

- The stiff breeze
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

They look great, I'm amazed how neat you are with the details given how many you've done so quickly.
Crowsfoot
Trainee Warrior

Post by Crowsfoot »

They look great, I can second the Testors lacquer, top quality and very clear no fogging.
Checkout my Lizardmen and others Here
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

They look awesome!
Great work in short time :)

I have read many recommendations of this dull coat.
I am using vallejo varnishes (gloss first and then matt, both thinned down a bit ofc) with an airbrush
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I have also used Army Painter Anti Shine for a finishing coat. When I first used it, it was awesome (best finish I have seen and in a larger can) but when I hit the end of the can and sprayed a unit I got a fine spec's on my models - have not used it again.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well I think I found a store in Belgium that sells Dullcote but it's not exactly nearby :P

Meanwhile I got started on these.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

They look like they should paint up nicely.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Had a slow week due to busy schedule and being sick for a few days. Anyhow, I got the basecoat and first layer for the gold in, the red and the boltgun metal.
Sorry for the poor picture, but at this stage I doubt it's really that important.

I really like that gold though, and the way it contrasts with black, silver and red. It's just Baltasar Gold base with a double layer of Gehenna's Gold.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking good. How big are they compared to the 8th models as they look pretty bulky from the pictures?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Ohh, interesting question. I haven't bothered comparing them yet. I may have a chaos warrior or chosen one somewhere for comparison. I hope I remember to make the picture tonight.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Urgh, totally having a painter's block. I have other plans for this evening and tomorrow, so I hope to get back into painting mode on Friday! :P
After this unit I might take a short break from painting before beginning a new unit.

- The stiff breeze
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Hi, check out painting buddha's Khorne Lord dude series on YouTube to help get your mojo back: so many tips and ideas to try out.

Great work so far! Will you be picking up the very angry big guy? :twisted:
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Darkmark wrote:Will you be picking up the very angry big guy? :twisted:

Who? The Hulk?

I might pick up a character for the Warband or two. I quite like the old Exalted model and the new Priest. But I promised myself to limit my spending by only buying new models when the old ones were painted. So I have a few big models to finish first... And then the 10 more blood warriors that I already ordered :P
And then we'll see if I want more red paint or something else!

- The stiff breeze
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

I meant Skarbrand (spelling?), but now that you mention it the priest is a good choice. In fact, he may be the best Khorne dude since the lord on jugger masterpiece.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yeah, if ever I get Juggies, I might get that Lord on a Juggy. He's amazing!
But I just might keep those on square bases. Depending on how my gaming group acts these coming months ;)

- The stiff breeze