[AoS PLOG] El's Khorney Inspiration

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Elrithral
Trainee Warrior

[AoS PLOG] El's Khorney Inspiration

Post by Elrithral »

I'm not much of a painter, I try my best, but I suffer from really bad shakey hand syndrome so struggle with highlighting.

I thought i'd try keeping a PLOG of my Age of Sigmar stuff and hopefully suggestions etc will help me improve.

Anyway, here goes; first up are the Blood Warriors.

Image Image

Any suggestions on improvements that could be made welcome.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [AoS PLOG] El's Khorney Inspiration

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great to see some new AoS models showing up in the forum - thanks for posting!

Have you thought about doing some washes? a red or a black wash would help your paint job a lot, to give it some dimension.

Also a couple of small highlights on the gold would be good (I use mithral silver just on the top edges to give it an extra sparkle)

The base look really nice - I've got to get use to looking at round ones now.

Keep posting your progress.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The basecoating looks well done and you have solid colours on all parts. The base looks terrific.
There are two steps I'd consider to improve the result, and you can do either 1 or both of them.
1) A wash. Keep in mind that a wash will dull the colours and so you'll have to brighten them up again with a new layer.
2) Edge highlighting.

The whole thing is pretty well explained here, in GW's video:

The wash they recommend for the whole model (except the skin, I think) is Agrax Earthshade. It will give a lot of depth to the brass and give the red and metal a bit more of a worn look. If you brighten them up again after that, it should look great.

The edges require a steady hand, but if you don't do it with as sharp a contrast as the video suggests, for example by diluting the highlight colour with the layer colour you used earlier, then it becomes a bit more forgiving.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Cult and Daeron explained pretty well,

-A wash greatly improves the look and you could actually stop there. It is possible "soften" the wash a bit by mixing lahmian medium.
-But I recommend at least giving a try of another layer after the wash and edge highlighting.

Finally, I really like these videos, do watch them all :)

These models are very nice I think and I look forward to see more of your work