Dark Elf Corsair Ship

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

If you would like to see one piece of Dark Elf Terrain built what would it be?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Watch Tower
14%
Gate
No votes
Temple of Khaine
4%
Black Ark Corsair Ship
46%
Nobels House
7%
Altar of Khaine
7%
Harpy Nest
No votes
Hydra Cave
No votes
Public Baths
7%
Treasure Chamber
No votes
Sacrificial Chamber
No votes
Barracks
No votes
Brothel
No votes
Cold One/Dark Rider Stable
4%
Library
No votes
Slaves Prison Camp
No votes
Arena
4%
Fortress
7%
Beastmaster training ground
No votes

Total votes: 28

Rowena
Highborn

Re: Dark Elf Corsair Ship

Post by Rowena »

Wow, the sail is perfect!
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

All perfectly true in a physics oriented world. Unless the ship is influenced by dark sorceries, in which case none of the above needs to apply :D

+1
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Red... wrote:All perfectly true in a physics oriented world. Unless the ship is influenced by dark sorceries, in which case none of the above needs to apply :D
This is not Age of Sigmar high fantasy world, where you would need no ship at all, as portals would do the job.
This is WarHammer lower fantasy world, laws of physics do apply reasonably, when applicable. That's precisely the reason why there are sails at all.
Dark sorcery is used occasionally to move Black Arks indeed, but the more common sailing ships use mundane wind. For them, Dark sorcery is limited to create unnatural fog when needed.

Note that I did not asked for any change, I only suggested to measure a length. The ship might well be allright as it is now.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

No worries Calisson - I was having a chuckle at Red having a go at you! :D

Your input is most appreciated!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yes, indeed, I was being rather tongue-in-cheek ;) Your analysis is of course absolutely spot on :D
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

Do we have any updates on the build?
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Working on the smaller sail at the moment - unfortunately real life is getting in the way and my momentum for the project has slowed somewhat.

Don't worry I will be working this through to completion, I have invested to much time to see it not finished.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

OK...I've been away from the forum for a while, mostly in a funk because GW dropped my favorite game.

So now I see that Cult of Khaine has been making magic! Holy scary cats this thing is awesome. I just zipped through the 6 pages and will need to go back and pore over the details.

Super inspiring stuff for me. Wow awesome cool love it :D

I'm loving it.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks Lion for your comments. Have been missing your posts lately as well.

Find some new ways to get the spark of inspiration back :D
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Any more progress? I need my fix of Corsair goodness!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the prompt Mr Piechee.

I have been really busy with work and got distracted with another side project - still going on the other sail and should have a new update shortly.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Well back to this project finally and time to get it finished.

STEP 23: SMALL SAIL

Pretty much the same as the large sail but smaller - I missed out a few photos in the making of this, but hopefully you all get the idea.

I start by cutting the dowel to size

Next using fine wire I join them together via a small hole I drilled at the end.

I then traced out the span of the sail to get the correct shape

Here is where I missed taking some photos of the next steps - but essentially its the same as the larger sail.

Using super glue I then glue the sail to the dowel rods. I then paint the sails and timber sections after which I then stitch the sails and add the decorations etc.

I have commenced painting the mast sections so will post another photo of that shortly to show you how it is now looking complete.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice to see some progress :)
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Good to see you start back up on this, sail looks magic.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some more progress shots of the ship so you can see how it is coming together. The ship is more or less complete now and I have started painting the different sections.

I will take better close up shots of it all once complete rather than bits and pieces now as I paint it. All the ropes, masts and sails have now been finished. The next step is to paint the rudder and then the main ship. I will also need some crew for it and finish it off with some more bits and pieces.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Really does look impressive with the sails done.
Looking forward to the paint job now.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow. Just... wow. I can't wait to see it painted.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

That is amazing. You really nailed the look and feel of it. I can't wait to see it finished. How many crew members are you going to add to it?

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Absolutely perfect :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

How many crew members are you going to add to it?

I have about 6-7 minis to add to the ship to add some character to it.

I can also put a bolt thrower at the front a unit of 20 in the middle section and a unit of 10 top section - it will be a full ship when done.
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

It really looks amazing, great job. I hate to be one of those guys but the pennants at the top of the front mast, they kinda look out of sync pointing in the direction they do, not sure if it is a camera angle thing or not.

EDIT: Hmm, ok I guess thinking about how the sails are working, they are pointing in the right direction, nevermind. Great work!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Superb job!

-=-=-

With the position of pennant and sails, I could interpret the wind to come from the aft, slightly to the port (30 degrees).
I.e. the direction of the wind would be nearly in the axis of the rectangle board representing the sea, or possibly very slightly closer to the axis of the ship.
This would explain both sails and the pennant.
A pic taken from right above the ship could confirm this impression.

Please make sure to paint the sea with some very small waves but no spume (wind not sufficient to create spume) perpendicular to the wind (i.e. nearly parallel to the small side of the board), in order to reflect this wind direction.
You could do that 2D with some slightly lighter and darker colour of the sea, representing those waves.

You might leave some spume in the wake of the ship: it leaves some trail just behind the ship, with the same width.
Additionally it creates very small waves, spurging from the bow of the ship at an angle of exactly 20 degrees on each side.
Must read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake:
"Each wake line is offset from the path of the wake source by around 19.47° and is made up of feathery wavelets angled at roughly 53° to the path."

-=-=-

A small concern, the ship should have a tendency to list to its starboard.
Furthermore, the tentacles of the monster would probably aggravate that tendency to list to starboard.
But the model you made is flat on the sea.

Would it be possible to have the tentacles on the port side, rather than on the starboard side where they are now?
I hope that this transformation would not be a difficult one.
For a purist, the weigh of the beast would compensate for the push of the wind, resulting in the ship being flat on the sea, as you have modeled it.

From a modelling point of view, you would display better the tentacles and show at the same time the inner side of the sails, viewed both from the port side.

So a net gain, in realism and in displayability, for a small burden of displacing the tentacles.

-=-=-

Again, kudos for the achievements so far.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson, I find your attention to detail staggering, fascinating and amazing. I could probably listen to such details for hours. But it makes me dread the day I try to build a ship myself. I think I'll just make it with legos instead.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I think I'll just make it with legos instead.

+1

Sorry Calisson - some great comments but I'm now past the point of fixing these things. In hindsight there are many changes I would do to the ship given the time. It has been a great project to learn some new skills.

I find your attention to detail staggering, fascinating and amazing.

I agree with Daeron thanks for the feedback
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I find your attention to detail staggering, fascinating and amazing.
Thanks for the compliment! :D
I only have been executive officer of two warships, it seems to have left some hard to kill habits.