NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Booah
Warrior

Re: NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by Booah »

Think I'm going to go for 10 corsairs, have started them already but this will give me the motivation to complete them.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Will post my unit for this month hopefully Monday when the last bits arrive.
I have gone back to my treeman to act upon some feedback. More pics in my Plog but now with added green.

direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

My assassin is almost done. Should be able to finish him today, but might not get pics up until tomorrow.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Looks great Amboadine!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I still haven't finished. The champion is about halfway done if I'm optimistic, there just wasn't enough time for me to sit down to painting properly. But something is better than absolutely nothing, right? :(
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Rowena wrote:I still haven't finished. The champion is about halfway done if I'm optimistic, there just wasn't enough time for me to sit down to painting properly. But something is better than absolutely nothing, right? :(

Yes I also had a busy month, no worries then try to fimish it this month
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Exactly. This is all about getting back into painting and enjoying the hobby aspect after Christmas rather than sticking to strict adherence to the end of each month.
Sometimes it just takes a little longer :)
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

I'm about to start something for February. Here are some of my Shades that have been waiting for a while now to see some paint. I was toying with Shadestar idea at that time, that's why they have a standard bearer (and I wish they could have it in 9th Age too). Models are converted out of new Dark Riders, old Warriors and some Corsairs bits.
Shades-before.jpg
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

That is a nice looking unit. Well done on the conversions.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Awesome looking unit, Errd! Inspiring!

My own February quest is a chance to do something about these classic Executioners I have had for more than a decade. No conversions planned but a few swords I might be missing. Maybe it will motivate me to paint all 24.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice conversion Errdrigar

Sabious what are your plans for the swords? I found the old warrior champion swords to work fairly well.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Cult; Indeed! I first looked at the spearheads of the old warriors and the champions sword is not bad at all. I will have another look through my tons of bits and explore my options. It will be few of them though, as I have most of the swords still. Maybe 4-5 will be different
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I love the older Executioner models. I used a couple for Peg master conversions a few years back. Sliced them in half and just used the top half :)
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Here is my February contribution. These are my first 10 of a 21 Blackguard unit. Unfortunately my basing materials are boxed up because I'm putting hardwood in my game room so that step will occur when I get back from my trip. As far as painting goes though I feel these guys are done. As I mentioned earlier in another post, I opted to paint these guys in a way that would blend with my army rather than just slapping black paint all over them. Freehand painting standards is not something I'm good at yet so I took the easy way out. If anyone has any advice on that I'm all ears.

Primed with Army Color Gun Metal.
Flesh: Kislev flesh, Reikland Fleshshade, highlighted with Kislev Flesh. I added a final highlight of Pallid Wych Flesh to the Tower Master.
Hair: Abbadon Black, highlighted with Eshin Gray.
Cloth: Regal Blue/Kantor Blue (Regal Blue finally gave out half way through), highlighted with Shadow Gray, washed with Drakonhof Nightshade, edge highlighted with Shadow Gray.
Gold: Game Color Glorious Gold, Agrax Earthshade, highlighted with 50/50 Glorious Gold/Mithril Silver.
Metal: Washed with Nuln Oil, highlighted with Leadbelcher and final highlight with Mithral Silver.
Wood: Scorched Brown, washed with Agrax Earthshade.

I plan on fielding these in a 7x3 formation.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Those are sharp man. Very nice work.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Great job! I wish mine were as neat...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

By the way, my assassin is done, I just have had some computer issues. My USB ports were screwy. Several hours with tech support later, and I think they're fixed.

So this weekend I will post some pics.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice work Malys I really like the gold plate.

I have to get to work on mine - I think I will work on the pirate crew for my ship!
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

At leas some progress on my side; Finished the first Dread Reaper and the crew is halfway done…
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! I already can't wait to get home and pick the brush up again!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Anyone having some painting luck this month?

I must say I have dropped the ball myself - been busy painting timber texture on my ship. I was hoping to get some paint on my crew members but have not had the time.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Anyone having some painting luck this month?

I must say I have dropped the ball myself - been busy painting timber texture on my ship. I was hoping to get some paint on my crew members but have not had the time.

Should get my models done before the weekend. Been a slog this month though.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Almost embarrassed to even post this now, given that it's 3 full weeks past the deadline, but after the crap I've gone through to get this working again, it's going up anyway. :)

My completed assassin for January. I will say I'm particularly happy with the cloak, it might be the best cloak I've done. Not terribly thrilled with the face, but he's good enough. Didn't do anything fancy with the base, partly for time reasons, but mostly because I plan on using him on my Blood Bowl team, and those guys are all basic grass bases.

I highly doubt I'll get to my batmobile for February, but it is possible. I have a 3 day weekend this coming weekend, unless I am sabotaged again by work or computer issues, or god knows what else. I have stripped the old paint off of it, and it has been primed white. We'll see where things go after that. I do have some other painting "assignments" due soon too though, so no promises. This time of year is busy for me at work, and blah blah blah real life crap. :)

Tell me what you think of the assassin. :)

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for posting direweasel - better late than never!

I will try and make a push myself to get at least something up (perhaps another character) 1 mini a month hehe.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

I'm struggling with my execu toners, but I hope to paint a lot tomorrow.