NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Re: NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by Malys the younger »

Looking good Direweasel! That cloak is indeed well done. I think I'll look into picking up an assassin, even if only to paint it.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

So close, but sadly I missed the target for the February challenge. The first Dread Reaper is complete, but for the second I didn't manage to finish the crew in time. Nonetheless here is the result of my efforts:

The finished Dread Reaper

(more pictures are available on my blog: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/dread-reaper-1/)

The unfinished one:
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great effort DarkSky - I wish I could say the same about mine, epic fail for me this month :(

I have a couple of those to paint myself, perhaps this month.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice job DarkSky.

So all, what are the plans for March?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Finished my Mighty Lord of Khorne.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

@Malys & direweasel: Looks good.
@DarkSky: Interesting color scheme, the finished one is very nice.
@Daeron:: As far as I hate Aos models, your painting on this Khrone guy is awesome. The only thing I would fix is the gluing line on hound's head.

As for my entry, I will have about a week delay. I've got distracted with two more Medusae and I haven't finished neither Shades nor them :?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice job Daeron. Really nice colour, especially like the puppy.
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

@Daeron: Very nice job, I like just about everything on that model. The colours fit perfectly.
@Errdrigar: Thank you, I am trying a lot of colour schemes lately and see where it takes me. For some reason the armour on the crew appears to have a copper/brass hue, when in fact they don't at all.

General question: Do you take your photos with or without flashlight?
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

That Lord of Khorne is certainly Mighty! and good job oin the Bolt throwers.

I managed to squeeze in my corsairs:

Might try and find Hellebrone for March
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

So, what is the challenge for March?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes good point DS instead of a point challeng this month what about having it open where the only criteria is to WOW!!!! us.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Yes good point DS instead of a point challeng this month what about having it open where the only criteria is to WOW!!!! us.

Nice idea. I shall get thinking.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Yes good point DS instead of a point challeng this month what about having it open where the only criteria is to WOW!!!! us.

I don't think I'm ever going to "wow" anybody with anything I paint, but I will try my best to finish my "Batmobile" chariot for March. If nothing else it's unique, and has personality. And I can at least promise it will look better than it did the first time I painted it years and years ago. :)

Plus, since it was originally my February entry for this which never happened, it's nice to stick with it. Maybe this time it will actually happen! I'd like to think all the crazy stuff that befell me in February couldn't possibly happen again in March, but let's not tempt karma. :?
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Obviously, I'll try to finish my Dread Reaper crew first. Next in line would be some characters:

* Captain on Elven Steed
* Assassin
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

February's challenge!

Yes yes, but I was distracted! :) These guys have practically been done for weeks, but I did not take time to finish them. Ran into a lot of correcting work and an earlier layer of paint annoyed me. But they rise to the task. I could not decide for the swords at first, so I went for some shiny red runeblades.

.. eh.. don't look at the unpainted standard pole! Don't! -- not taking new pictures! :P

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

How are March's models looking? Any luck? I'd hate to see this threat die before I get home, its the only thing keeping me going lol

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Ah. I will move a few pictures from my plog here.
I have something almost finished too that I will add at the weekend.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Not going to get my chariot done in time - I spent 4 hours last weekend trying to glue it together without success. I finally realized after I had run out of time (and patience) for the day that I should have been using putty to hold the position properly in place while it dried (DUH!). I couldn't get the side "wings" to stay right, it was driving me insane!

This weekend I have to run a Regional Spelling Bee, and after that my kids are on Spring Break so I'll want to hang out with them. So I will continue working, but I think it's safe to say it's not happening.

Minis and deadlines are not going well for me this year. Alas, I will continue to try, that's all I can do. Someday I'll have lots more free time, but most likely by then my vision will be shot. =P
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I just finished 2 Khorgoraths to submit for this month's "Wow!" challenge ;)
I'm close to finishing a unit of 30 dreadspears which I started last year... Which deserves a very different kind of "wow" lol
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Crikey - where did the month go! time to pull my finger out.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

No worries! I'm 'delivering' on time this month! :D
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

This is frustrating. Another month passes and I've had no time to paint anything. And now I'm going to be in France until July, without any of my minis or paints. :evil:

What we need is a similar thread for conversions and greenstuff work...
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Shadowspite wrote:And now I'm going to be in France until July, without any of my minis or paints. :evil:

I know it may sound absurd (I tend to think too far out of the box) but ... France has GW's and other miniature shops. 2-3 brushes, a few paints and a few models is all you need to have an exciting, fun little side project on your holiday. Just a thought ;)

- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Daeron wrote:I know it may sound absurd (I tend to think too far out of the box) but ... France has GW's and other miniature shops. 2-3 brushes, a few paints and a few models is all you need to have an exciting, fun little side project on your holiday. Just a thought ;)

Not a bad idea, but I'm reluctant to buy paints and brushes in France just for using out there and I'd rather not be carrying anything like that back and forth on an aeroplane. Especially just now, when airport security is going to be paranoid as hell. Paints, at least, are a definite no. And I don't fancy trying to pack minis safely into my hand luggage and then having to unpack and repack them at the security desk.

I see that Limoges does have a GW store now, though. That's handy if I change my mind.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Kitchen sponge to the rescue! This is what I did for my minis for very long before I bought foam to cut specifically. These little washy guys stack very well! Boxes, shoeboxes.. Ta daa! :)

*joins Daeron in cracking the painting whip* :D