[PLOG] Ronan's Raiders

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

[PLOG] Ronan's Raiders

Post by Saintofm »

since my last PLOG all the pictures seem to be lost on it, I thought I start fresh and let you know what is my current projects.

Project:

2 Beastmasters, 1 Assassin, and 7 Sisters of Slaughter/a couple of Minies I will inevitably use in Pathfinder.

Using a unit of Dark Eldar Wyches, I am seeing where I can take this before I spend the money on the actual unit and get a unit of 15ish.

2 of the minies will be used as beastmasters for my Kharibdys as his the he elf is on a kitbash of a Carnafex and the spare hydra bits, and yes I will show when I think the "Show Us Your Spearmen thred has run its course...that and when these two guys are painted. The female I will eventually use with a manticore, mostlikly the one from Rageing Heros where the Blood vestals are from.

The rest are as follows:

Beastmasters
The one with the net and the short spear could have easily gone with the sisters, but I couldn't find another weapon that welt well with the spear arm, and this way it looks like he is eading the great warbeast while looking for something else to toy with.

The other I added a HE spear half, with an eventual ottom half or at least part of one to make it look better. The whip looked so much cooler, although the Ivy Whip Sword would have been better on the gladiatrixes in hindsight.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Impromptu Assassin of Khaine.
This one came to me as I was looking at the dozzen or so daggers. I also found an extra crossbar from a Shade Repeating Crossbow so I stuck that on the ray gun and went from there.
[img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13393948_905957409531486_217133314670389451_n.jpg?oh=d99e76536eeb287ba66cade90745e2ba&oe=57CF6B9E[img][/img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13315547_905957429531484_2396375060844081721_n.jpg?oh=0e152e7922cb702529ba19f8fa928108&oe=57CC924D[/img]

The 7 Sisters of Slaughter
First thing I noticed: when I was clipping things out: I am making alot of left handed warriors. Wost of the close combat stuff is on the left hand, and the Romulan Disrupters are in the Right hand. Deffinitly add a level of uniqueness not seen in my army.

Handmaiden and Possible Swashbuckling type for either Swashbuckler or gunslinger.
The head I desided to go with the braid instead of the long flowing ponytail. I think I would like the other better but this one I think won't break as much in transport.

I also liked the sword better. Unlike the others, I kept the gun so I could user her in other games as a gunslinger. I did however use spar shield decals from my spearmen units, in this case highelves. Ifigue i would be a nice punch dagger built in, and add some defense.

I am going with this for most of these lovely ladies is because bucklers are small. THey are slightly bigger then a dinner plate, and they didn't need to be much bigger then that. They were meant for duelists and range attackers who needed some extra defense and couldn't or wouldn't go for something on par with Sir Galahad. Historyicly they were meant for deflecing blows, but their users loved how they could be used to bludgion their foes with the rim or the buss as easily as if they had brass knuckles.
ImageImageImage

Chain good!
First magor coplaint with Dark Eldar Wyches: Not enough of these! Seriously, they look cool! Need something for an assassin charecter are making? Here you go. Want to have a more Chinese Whip? Here you also go.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Saw Sword
I am warming up to this one. Not a perfect combat weapon, but for a showy fighter like a gladiator for someone there to inflict as much pain as a Dark Elf likes to have around, this is perfect/

The other blade, which the package also had too little of, seemed like a perfect defensive weapon.
Image Image
Whip it good
I still thought the whip would be good for the unit. I like the head, and see this one still perfect for the unit.
Image Image

Skull Sheild
I just thought this would be a good bludgioning tool, and one I just imagin the weilding breaking some poor soul's face in with it. The 2 pronged bladed weappon also looks interesting and definitly has a cool factor to it.
Image Image

Brawler
This will be my brawler. I may switch this head with the whip wielder, but I had to have both arms on the same mini, and ths will be my in yourface brawler for pathfinder in ten charecters

Image Image

I may also be doing some more harpies, from Reaper, and when I do here is a sneak peak of the color scheme:

[+] SPOILER
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Ronan's Raiders

Post by Amboadine »

Nice amount of conversion work in there, looking forward to seeing them with paint now.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I agree, there's some nice conversion work going on. I really like where you went with the beastmasters.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thanks. The convertion work was also very minimal. A good 90 or 99 % of the kit is used. That last little bit is spare parts.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Still working on the painting of the sisters, got a good leather color for the boots and some of the armor.

However after seeing some of the posts on here, I am joining the Medusa band wagon.

Here is what I am working with. The three pewter lovlies are from a Texas Company called reaper, with two minies most likely meant for their Pathfinder collection, and I am going to use them. I already got some of them with rare earth magnets so I can use them off the main blocks and have them for pathfinder. One of the classess is the Summoner, and this petclass can do a monster build that is basilcy an angelic lamia, and the smaller bases that they have already will be perfect for that.

Here are the three new ones and the GW variety for size comparison. Behind them is the K beast for further comparison.

ImageImage

This is a Lamia Matriarch.
In game, Lamia are a race of violent beastwomen that have some anger issiues.
She is an armored beuty, armed with a spear. I think for the tail part, I am going to do some sort of aquatic snake, like a garter snake (fairly common snake in the US, loves the water, aquatic diet, and harmless though they may musk you if they are scared. The males are stringy and the females are massive...its the the difference between Vern Troyer [Mini Me] and any of his girlfriends or wives) and the San Fransico Garter (an endangered subspecies due urban development and other problems from humans, spread out spraticly through of the San Fransisco marshland, and sporadically through out much of the near areas (they were fairly common at the Scout Camp I worked at with the manmade lake there). Normal is the first one and SF the second and 3rd. By the second one's coloring, you could see what they would be perfect for the pet trade if they were not illegal to own (not that its stopped some reptile fanciers). You guys decide.

Marilith Demon.
In pathfinder they are generals, with several arms each weilding a weapon. She was also one of the origional four fiends in the first Final Fantasy game. I love this mini, and will probably be the one I use for pathfinder for the summoner.
I added a greenstuffed bra/biki top. She is topless otherwise, and I beleive has nipple peircings from the looks of it, but I need some of that covered up for personal reasons so I coverd it up while still leaving plenty to look at. As you can see with the close up to her chest, there is still detail, including the necklass. She also has a few chains hanging around what I amuse where her hips would be. However the hair and more importantly the swords are the main show peice.

I had a corn snake (an easygoing snake that is a popular pet, though never put your finger between it and a mouse) so I am thinking user her coloring for this lovely damsel.

Lastly the Medusa
This is the smalest of the 3, and the one that I think was based heavily on the Ray Harryhausen one from Clash of the Titans.

Here to I added some more to cover up, but left cleavage, and the nipples kept poking though and so I wanted to keep the amount of greenstuff on the minimal so I let it though.
For coloring I am torn between the more black coloring of the Pacific Rattlesnake, but red is my favorite collor so the Red Diamondback is also a good candidate. Like with the garters, you decide. Of the pacific Rattlesnakes I have one from Alameda County (East Bay Area where I am at) and one from Napa Valley (wine country).

ImageImageImage

Pacific rattlers
ImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Great idea to paint them after different snake scales.
All snakes look great, except the red and blue one, which additionally would seem odd among a mostly brownish squad.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thanks. So which of the ratlerz and the other 2 garters do u lik?
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Sorry for the delays, but fmily first and I had a brother to help blitz his house for the last month and a half (feels like 3) so he can move to Idaho (for those that do not know the US geography very well, its snows alot. Main product: Potatoes.

However the house he's getting is very nice and at a much more reasonable price then he could in CA.

So now I have time to work on stuff. Until then, guess what I got for $10 at a yard sale:

SQUATS! and sme Cathans, and Gnobbs, terminators, and and Ork or 2.

Holy crap, remember when prices were like this?
[img]https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13707780_930746483719245_6374230697818261319_n.jpg?[img]oh=28129bbfbfadbc3eeac80e38de799ca5&oe=57F4DA60[/img]
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=57EBCB4B[/img]

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I have the K beast additions on.
On a whim, I put one in the K Beast's claws, and it looks like h got proded one too many times.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

It definitely looks like the claw is the right size to hold a mini, nice idea!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I think I am going to do that Show us you[insert unit here] thread for hydras and K beasts soon. But not tonight.

Who wants to see some sociopathic women in tight leather and with bloody instruments of death?

Group 1. Blade User, Champion/Pathfinder Gunslinger, and Brawler.

Here is the first group consisting of a bunch of weapons this pack had way too little off, one that is meant to crush you when she grapples, if the spikes don't rip you in half, and the champ. I forget the exact colors on the top of my head, will have to look at them, but its mostly a mix of paints from Privateer press and Army Painter.

I used a gel glue and covered them in sand and let dry for several minutes before dusting them off. Some goofs with paint on the faces were red so for some I just added a little more for bloodstains.

Overall, leather tended to be dark browns, hair was black or blond with some reds, and metel was usualy a very dark grey metalic color. I added red here and there either on the front torso, the back toso, and other cloth bits to keep it in my army's colors.

Bucklers tended to have lots of yellows and golds, and there are a few gold chaines here and there.

Group 2: A whip, a flail, and a stabby thing that I could order online for 30 bucks.

Sorry for the qualety for this one.

For a more indepth look on the last one.
The chain sorta broke on this one so I had it swung back, using some glue and the fact it was still sorta attached to hold it in place, and added some paint to look like it was still swinging around.

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Been a while since I did one of these. So Here are some I manage to do in about 4 hours. Most of these are reaper miniatures, and pewter ones at that (the lone exception is the blue one who is a plastic).

The Terminator I got in a really good steal at a yardsale, so I shall dub him part of my new Marine Chapter: THe Hawka Marines

Chapter: Hawka (based playwise on Spacewolves, but are a Polanysia in when it comes to skin, and some colores...Tried to make the armor sand color, and have the samoan blue and red from the flag here and there).

ImageImageImageImage

My attempt a marble. I need a smaller brush and may need to do some dry brushing.
I am thinking something dark blue for dry brushing. What's a good ink color for this?++

ImageImage

Fencer
The swashbuckler was an impuls buy. The colors were whatever was leftover when I was working. I think the hair I actualy just inked it as I grabbed it instead of the paint (took me a little bit to realize it why it was wattery). Worked out nicly.
ImageImage

Elf archer. Some paint was a little wattery from brush not being compltly dry but i like the effect. Wish I was more awake when I did this. The hair was a big mix of why not and the hobby store I was in was marithoning Love Live so go for the anime look.

ImageImage

Gnome. Still ned to do some toucch ups but went very light on the flesh tone which was a Caucasian pink tone and some white from Privateer Press. Also need to do my photoes in natural light or better lighting in general.

Aqutic Fmiliar
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=583FF235

Crusader: Part of Reaper's Black Legioon, I had a light yellow for the robes, a metalic that remnded me of boltgun, with a hint of mythril silver on the edge of the ax. The Owl on the sheild is a dark gold. The metal parts were then had black ink brush on them.

ImageImageImageImage

Drowned spirit. I promis I will get better pictures of her latter. As is this is the first time I did moist clothing on a mini and now i am in a pickle. I need a wash to finish this off, but as this combines both cloth and skin coloring, what would work best for her?

And one of Aquarious: Just have the togadown for the most part
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Remember when I mentioned I got a ton of stuff at the Garage Sale?

Here there are. I managed to do quite a few more minies then this but this is alot of guys I will stick with this for now.

Skin wise I wanted to go with a darker skin tone, something more Palanysian themed to go with what will eventualy be a Islander themed Space Marines of the same world. I added some camo stripes on them, particularly where I Oops spots o area I forgot to cover something while painting. I thought a beach storming unit would sound cool so they have sand on the bases.

Variations inclide a couple of Flamers and a rocket launcher.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice haul from a garage sale. Blast from the past.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thanks. I got a unit of squats I'm going to put togeather next
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Since I end up loosing all my pictures if I use Facebook for some odd reason, I thought i use my Deviant art account for something other then get a good look at all of the artwork there.

This said,

Here are squats!

Also, I just finished writing a fantasy novel and would like to have a few more beta readers (Its like what you do in the fan fic section, only helping me make a little money on the side if it works out). You can email me at jontheauthor1@gmail.com and I will try to get out a chapter or two out so you can tear through it like a dragon with a maiden.

In anycase: Squats:

A long time ago, 40k had their space dwarves. Unfortunately, they quickly became a joke army and that was not what GW wanted, so they fed them to the Tyranids and ended the army. Any still used in game are used with the Imperial guard rules, and if I get back to 40k, I'll use them as such, say the guys protecting a spaceport for the catchens above.

Main Group. May split into smaller groups

Officers: It might be my inner 5 year old but I like how a couple of the the ones with the pistoles turned out as it looks like they are being flipant or sticking you up. I think the other guy's botlter and fist might have come from an orc that was in the group who cares, it looks cool

Heavy Weapons. Note sure if this is a heavy machine gun, grenade launcher, or a bazooka. FOr fun I put a spare flamer from the Catchens there.

Troops. To be honest the goofy looking gun looks like the pistol that shot the batplaine in the Tim Burton Batman back int he late 80's. Guess its a Las Riffle.

SOrry, I love the bald ones, espesialy the one tha tlooks like its sticking you up. I am half tempted to paint one white and greenstuff a beret on it.
ImageImage
Image[img]
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I am still getting the hang of posting pictures on Deviant art. In any case my laptop was out of commission for a couple of weeks, so posting things were difficult, time was another. However lose of a job at the end of November and being sick for the last week have freed me up expendentialy.

So, here's what I have been doing.

Most of this reaper, and will largly be used in Pathfinder, but I might find a few games to use the others. With the exception of 1, all are Raper minies

Harpies
By and large, these are simalar to our own but with more bird like features and a bit prettier. I might go with pewter for a fifth of these, but since I was getting them en mass 4 bucks a pop sounded real good.

The coloration is based on a combination of my and my brothers parakeets.

I also added a little of the feather colors near the breast area to appear like a bra or bikini top

Sky Giantess
This one was cool to do. I was doing some blue skin on a couple of dark elf minies to make them look more drow like, and I thought why not her? In the end it makes her hair and armor stand out. I also love how her club/sceptor is basicly a pillor of some sort.

Dwarf Warrior.
There is an warrior archetipe for dwarves that focus heavily on hammers and sheilds, so I though I get him. The Stein on his shield also gives me ideas of his patron diety. He will also be my Leeroy Jenkins

Now for the Drow. Fiist up is a cleric. She was moderatly diffiult, just keeping the right color on the right part.

Because of course, there is a chibby vertion. From Soda Pop Games for their Super Dungeon explorer series. I decided to do this one without basepaintint, which meant a few coats, but otherwise not that hard to get paint on. However the way she is positioned makes her. The crossbow is the color she comes out of the box as, it has since been painted red.

The game peice on Soda Pop Game's websight

Mine

Lasly from the Drow is theif that fit the assassin look too easy. Speaking of which, since he was mostly cape painting him was a breaze.

Now for some animals

THis is either a hawk or a raven origionaly. Either way the base had no ballence so I greenstuffed it.

Now for some others.

I needed a new mini for a bard

Dancing Girl
This one was intereting. I knew this was going to show off a alot of skin, but I didn't think it show that much. The one arm is from another mini as I lost this one's (it was hyper petite). In any case this gave me an excuse to put a whip on it.

Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Nice update. I think if you made some washes by thinning down the paints you have with water it would really add some depth to your models. Maybe add a touch of black to whatever the base color was, so a red and black wash on the red areas, green and black on the green, etc. For yellow maybe a brown wash? Either way, good to see you're still posting!

And if there was ever a need for a spell check...
With the exception of 1, all are Raper minies
:shock:

Happy New Year!

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thank you. Was unable to sleep trying to hack up a lung to care about spelling, but most of these guys are from Reaper.

I will try adding washes latter. I have some black and red I add here and there