starting with Eldar, need advice on models to buy

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Noble_servaas
Trainee Warrior

starting with Eldar, need advice on models to buy

Post by Noble_servaas »

After toying with the idea of taking a Sisters of Battle army and calculating howmuch the metal models would cost me, I've recently bought some Eldar models.

These are the models I've bought:
10 guardians with grav platform
5 dire avengers including exarch
2 war walkers
12 howling banshees with 2 exarchs
1 wave serpent
1 farseer.

Tooled up I reckon this is about 900 pts worth.

What would your advice be to buy next to get a decent 1500 pts (and 1000 for that matter) list.

I know it all depends on style of play and the armies I'll be playing against, but there should be some 'must-haves'.

thanks for your time.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Falcon and Fire Prism would be nice anti-tank addition
So would be a Wraithlord (and they're tough buggers to get rid of).

Rangers are ace with the eldar sniper rifles, and I believe they're also Troops which is good.

You might also want a little more Guardians for objective claiming and such.

Warp Spiders could be a fun, zapping around the battlefield, addition.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

There are generally few "Must-haves" in an eldar army, but there are however several Must-haves in specific eldar armies for specific play styles.

For mechanised eldar, the wave serpents and falcons are the key to the whole thing, giving the ability to deliver key squads to key locations at the right times, for instance frop a team of 10 dire avengers with blade storm right next to an exposed enemy unit, etc.

The number one recommendation I would make would be to magnetize or otherwise use a system where you can switch out the armament of your grav platforms, war walkers, wave-serpents, etc. If you glue a pair of scatter lasers onto your war walkers, you lock them into one specific role. As you build your army up, you'll generally begin to aquire a big armoury of heavy weapons for putting onto your platforms and war walkers. I use this system to great effect.

With the models you have, you're presently a tad light on the anti-tank, so decide if you want to lean towards firepower or close assault, and go for units to complement that.
Furthermore decide if you want to lean towards being a static or mobile force.
Greg
Cold One Knight

Post by Greg »

Hi,
I have a large amount of Eldar available for sale/ trade etc.
As far as essential it is really about army style. There are a few dominate types of Eldar lists.
Feel free to contact me for general ideas on play styles or stuff you wish to acquire.

3 styles of effective lists are the all skimmer list:
HQ farseer and warlocks on jet bikes or autarch on jet bike, few jet bike unites, 2 or 3 unites of shinning spears, 3 fire prisms

close assault focused, min troop squads all pathfinders maybe a dire avenger squad, as many harlies or banshees as you can get your preference, wraithlords x3, avatar

scout, scout, scout, 6 min pathfinder squads, war walkers, scorpions with infilitrating and hq can vary

balanced lists which really vary by troops but have areas they must cover.
Trve
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Trve »

Get 5 more Dire Avengers to round the squad out to ten. Thats first priority.

Then decide what you want your army to do.

Oh, and get Eldrad. Hes pretty much a must for one of your HQ choices in every Eldar army now.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

These are the models I've bought:
10 guardians with grav platform
5 dire avengers including exarch
2 war walkers
12 howling banshees with 2 exarchs
1 wave serpent
1 farseer.

I'm not too keen on the Guardians and Avengers (they just die so easily) but the rest looks very good.

I'm undecided about which ones are better, Banshees or Scorpions. A shock assault unit like the Banshees is never a waste, though - especially when you have the Wave Serpent.

Those two War Walkers are ace, they were a good buy! :) Farseers are a kind of must have and the Wave Serpent....You can probably find a use for that too.

At the moment, your list lacks a speedy unit that can take obejctives and seize the initiative in a game. Jetbikes and Warp Spiders might be good options. I myself have very good things to say about Spiders

There are people who say Falcons are the best tanks in 40k and those that say Fire Prisms are even better but I wouldn't believe either, I don't use them myself that much and you should think carefully which one to purchase - I'd convert my own Fire Prism from a Support weapon platform and a Falcon for sure!
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I'm not too keen on the Guardians and Avengers (they just die so easily) but the rest looks very good.

While I agree with this concerning the guardians (comparably low LD, high costs for what they do and against the average weapon without armour save, they really are nothing more than cannon fodder), but Dire Avengers are brilliant, if you know how to use them. They die easily (then again, this is true for any uni we have save wraithguards and wraithlords) if you let your opponent shoot them (which has gotten easier due to the new edition) but if you use them as precision tool, namely, in a wave serpent combined with other units - preferably mounted - to destroy a certain section of your opponent's army, leaving no survivors so that the only retaliation will be long-range, then they are rather good. You just can't have them run around on their own. The only guy that can do that - within limits - is the avatar. Almost literally anything else in our list needs someone or something to accompany them. 5 Dire avengers are not quite enough, if you ask me. They need to be 10 strong to be worth taking. Otherwise they can't do enough damage to avoid being obliterated by a foe they have tickled with their fire.

In the new edition I would generally go with scorpions as they can take more punishment if they have to, but combined with dire avangers and in wave serpent, howling banshees are a force to be reckoned with (put a doom/fortuneseer on top and you have a rather nasty strikeforce, capable of dealing with almost anything if you kit out the wave serpents to kill tanks and/or heavy infantry).

Oh, and get Eldrad. Hes pretty much a must for one of your HQ choices in every Eldar army now.

That's a very opinionated statement, and far from being true. I never use eldrad (for a dead guy me makes an awful lot of appearances, sometimes twice on the same battlefield if there is more than one eldar player). I would almost go as far as saying that you definitely shouldn't take eldrad unless you take the extra step and use guardians and dark reapers as mainstay of your army, and any kind of tanks (as they are all piloted by guardians).

There are people who say Falcons are the best tanks in 40k and those that say Fire Prisms are even better but I wouldn't believe either, I don't use them myself that much and you should think carefully which one to purchase - I'd convert my own Fire Prism from a Support weapon platform and a Falcon for sure!

With the new rules, I would risk being called controversial and say that open-topped transports, if used en-masse (read: dark eldar or orks) can be the most devastating kind of tanks, though not because of the havoc the wreak themselves but rather because they allow other units to cause a lot of damage). With the new cover rules for fast skimmers, they have gotten a lot tougher, and less dangerous to use and with entanglement being gone, even if they are shot down the passengers have a good chance of getting to you if there are enough of them.

Of course land raider crusaders have a category of their own entirely especially when used to get assault terminators to a spot where they can hurt more than being shot in the... well, you get the point.

With eldar, beign able to jump out and then start shooting is the best thing tanks offer, and with the new rules shooting has gotten much more effective for us than close combat so I'm leaning more and more towards close-range fire than anything else to win a game. Warp spiders, avengers, fire dragons and their like are the tools of the trade for that.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Greg
Cold One Knight

Post by Greg »

I agree concerning the dire avengers, they should be in 10's and in a wave serpent. Two squads supporting each other or one supported by banshees or fire dragons in wave serpents are effective.
Guardians are very specific as to when they are useful ie 6 squads with warlocks, avatar and farseers. They move to your objectives while the rest of the army is designed to hit hard, fast ie precision striking.
Concerning choices in general:
HQ
Farseer makes everything better.
Avatar is an awesome deal, makes guardians better and if combined with multiple wraithlords makes the opponent make difficult targetting choices.
Autarch can be designed to complement your army but is often a third option for me.

of all the other options I really avoid them with one exception and that is Eldrad. He is an interesting choice in the heavy guardian list with an Avatar.

Elites:
spoiled for choices. All are effective in the right situation/combination.
I would argue that all except harlies and scorpions require transports.

Core:
pathfinders are very common in many tournie lists. Hard to remove from objectives unless assaulted. Cheap, easy to meet core troop requirements with them alone.

Avengers mentioned as well as guardians above.

Jet bikes go big or just don't bother. If objectives are in difficult terrain and they are your only troops you better be able to completely clear the other army off the table! Fun trick versus templars is to take a little unit and park them behind the templars. If they took the prayer that makes them move towards the nearest foe you can keep them away from the bulk of your army.

fast Attack: shinning spears are awesome. They can fill multiple rules, elite infantry killer, anti-vehicle, HQ hunters,
every other fast attack is very situational. only other option I use is a vyper in an all skimmer army or small multiple swooping hawks in a very focussed close assault force. The hawks need to be able to assault so deep striking isn't very effective.

Heavies: Again we are spoiled for choices and each compliments what play style you pick.
I love warwalkers with shuriken cannons, dirt cheap, mobile and tons of shots, prisms in multiples are very scary as are wraithlords, dark reapers are really best at killing powered armoured foes and rarely make my lists.
The falcon, our poor orphan vehicle. I only ever use this to carry a second unit of banshees or fire dragons. We just have much more effective tank/transport options.

My quick 2 cents worth. I am more than willing to discuss specific issues in detail.