Khan's Lightning - SM army blog, fluff and pictures

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Khan's Lightning - SM army blog, fluff and pictures

Post by Kefka »

Hi guys, I've been away for awhile.
Well I have been gone, I have spent a lot of time working on my armies. Unfortuantly, my gnoblar horde looks like it is out of commission for awhile, I just have no motivation for it.
In the works I have my Witch Elf DE list sitting in a case, and this, my new space marine army: Khan's Lightning.
So here is a bit of fluff I wrote up quickly one night, including history, markings, heroes, and so on. I

The Founding:
Shortly after the Horus Heresy, Jaghati Khan had headed back to his home planet, Mundus Prime. He had found his home the site of many Dark Eldar raids. His home, it's inhabitants, and even his Space Marine brethren had taken losses, or even gone missing. Jaghati grew furious with the Dark Eldar, swearing several oaths against them.
Though he had vowed revenge against the Dark Eldar, Roboute Guilliman had tasked Jaghati and his chapter to watching over "The Maelstrom" a large warpstorm that held many dangers, and was considered a mini "Eye of Terror."
Though Jaghati kept a vigil eye over the warpstrom, keeping pirates, orks, and even his betrayer bretheren the Word Bearers at bay, he often went hunting for Dark Eldar at any chance he got. Any lead, hint, or assumption of Dark Eldar in the area got Khans blood boiling. He would gather some of his forces and attack after them.
70 years after the Horus Heresy, he followed one such lead to the planet Corusil V, the only hospitable planet in the Corusil system. There were small colonies on the planet, but little else, but still the Dark Eldar fled there. Believing to have them on the run, Jaghati Khan followed in heel. This was the last that was heard of Jaghati and the forces he took with him. Some say he followed the Dark Eldar through a lost Webway portal and have not found their way back. Few believe they were killed, or worse, captured, by the Eldar pirates, and would never be seen again.

Several centuries past. The Maelstrom grew to a terrible place. Though the White Scars still watch over it, the loss of their primarch and finest forces made times difficult. The Badab War saw several successor chapters go rouge, and enter into the Maelstrom, appearing occasionally to launch raids. Increased activity by the Word Bearers and Orks made times more violent as well. More and more citizens took up arms against the emperor and rebelled within the area.
Violence, heresy, and wars broke out in the area over the decades, and the White Scars had barely the numbers to hold against the oncoming hordes of enemies. Worse still,The Dark Eldar continued their raids. Kyublai Khan, the current chapter master, fought well against them. But similar to his former primarch, he too had gone missing in the fight against the Eldar pirates.

Then relief came in the form of an unknown, but familiar friend. Like a storm, Space Marines armoured in black power armour, showing only blood red markings to strike fear into their enemies, and lightning arcing over their bodies, descended across the planet of Corusil V. It had become inhabited by heretics, traitors, and worse, Chaos Space Marines.
The Black armoured Space marines appeared, near the same location that Jaghati and his forces were last seen. In a violent thunderstorm, the attacked as quick as lightning. They yelled their battle cry: "For the Khan! We strike like lightning!" Riding into battle atop fierce bikes and attack bikes, the marines struck hard and fast against the Chaos marines and rebels, relentless in their killing and taking full advantage of the surprise attack. After a few short, bloody nights, four of the seven main sectors of the planet had been regained by this unknown force, the Chaos forces had been sent reeling and were disoriented. The White scars, along with nearby Imperial Guard regiments and a small force of Blood Angels, reacted quickly. Joining their unmet battle brothers, they provided a relief force for the new marines, and bombarded the rest of the chaos infected areas.
Within a few short months, Corulis V had been regained.
The new marine chapter approached the White scars chapter master, Jubal Khan, and what seemed to be their leader, bowed to him. The warriors were silent and secretive, but followed standard Imperial customs and told what needed to be told.
Calling themselves "Khans Lighting" they allowed themselves to be studied by the White Scars, and even allowed fro their Gene Seed to be tested. After much astonishment and deliberation, it was revealed that this new legion bore Gene Seed identical to that of the White Scars during the Horus Heresy, with next to no mutation or change since the last day Jaghati Khan was seen. The members of Khans Lighting would never speak of their history or unknown origin, only that they vowed to avenge their primarch and wage war upon the traitors and the Dark Eldar.
Khans Lighting seemed devout and loyal enough, their gene seed pure and strong, and were taken in as another loyalist chapter,and considered a White Scars successor

Rebirth and Growth:
Khans Lightning set up home on one of Corusil V's moons, renamed Po'Eun, one of the few in the system still considered loyal. Launching small raids against Orks, Eldar, traitors and Chaos Marines in the system, they often rescued loyal citizens and offered them safe haven upon either Po-Eun or Corusil V. As Corusil V and it's moons population grew back, so did the force of Khans Lightning. Slowly, over decades and even centuries, Khans Lightning indoctrinated new Marines into their forces. Being near desperate, but of pure Gene Seed, there was much debate in the chapter about their recruitment policies and requirements. Some believed they needed to regrow quickly, and should take any capable warrior into their ranks who could survive the transition. While others believed they needed to be more strict, claiming that their Gene Seed was direct from their Primarch, only the most elite deserved for it to flow through their veins.
Finally the marine who claimed himself Chapter Master came to a decision. Khans Lighting would indoctrinate a steady flow of strong and elite recruits from both Po-Eun and Corusil V. They were constantly at war, and need fresh warriors quick, but their Gene Seed was precious. As a result, the Chapter Master would indoctrinate many warriors from both moon and planet, but they were required to prove themselves greatly to the chapter before leaving the scout division. The scout division grew quickly, and any who proved themselves were eventually granted the honor of becoming full fledged Space Marines. However, Khans Lightning had it's strength in it's quick raids and high mobility on bikes, similar to the White Scars, and only the founding members of the chapter were allowed to ride such sacred wargear into battle.
To this day, Khans Lightning is still re-gaining it's strength, and is far from becoming a full chapter.

Despite their small numbers, the chapter serves well in helping the White Scars guard the Maelstrom. Located almost in between the large warpstorm and common Dark Eldar raiding space.They seem just a vigilant and relentless, if not more so, then the White Scars. As stated earlier, Khans Lighting launches several raids through the Corusil system in attempts to sabotage alien or heretic plans, and rescue Loyal citizens.
They grow in strength with every passing decade.

Heraldry, Symbols and Icons:

Lighting armour: Though many confuse the lighting on the armour of Khans Lighting with that of the traitor legion, Night Lords, the members of the chapter swear it is not a curse nor alien technology. It is meant to represent their quick and sharp raids, often lead during thunderstorms with similar natural effects.

Red colouring: There are a few part upon the armour that are painted with a violent red. Parts of the helmet, left and maybe right hand (depends on marines achievements), knee and elbow pads. These represent the chapters fighting qualities and natural weapons. The head, used for strategic knowledge, The hands, used for weapons, and the joints, for when weapons fail. (Khans Lightning uses a more martial form of unarmed combat, often employing knee and elbow attacks quickly to subdue their opponents.)
The shoulder trim and backpack also have red marking, this is to identify members of the chapter.

Robes: A few members of Khans Lightning wear cloaks over their power armour. These Space Marines act often like Chaplain, encouraging squads or members by reciting heroic deeds of their primarch, Jaghati Khan, and instilling hatred for their enemies that took him away from them. Almost every squad has one member who preforms this roll, even the veteran and command squads. These Space Marines are known as Won'Hyo and act as monks for the chapter.

Notable achievements and statuses:

Dan-Gun, Chapter Master:
Little is known about Dan-Gun, other then his unquestionable authority and leadership of his troops into battle. He and his honourguard. the Hwa-Rang, have a glorious record of achivements, and a grand hall of trophies the chapter shows with honour. Dan-Gun often goes into battle, more often then the usual Chapter Master. It is unkown if this is because of the chapters low numbers, or his personal preference.

Kor'Sarro Khan:
Though a member of the White Scars, Kor'sarro Khan has lended aid to Khans Lighting on several occasions.

Yi Soon-Sin, Brother Sergant of the Armoury:
Well known for his expertise with tanks, Yi Soon-Sin is in charge of all of the vehicles within Khans Lighting, even the bikes! His command within a tank is second to none in the chapter. When he enters a predator or Land Raider, it is like he and the machine truly merge as one.

Hwa-Rang:
Titled reserved for veteran members of the Command squad. Always goes into battle upon Bikes.

Kobukson:
Titled of the famed Land Raider Redeemer, it protects the Chapter Master and Honour Guard as they are launched into battle.

Dos'an, Chaplain:
Dos'an is the first Chaplain of Khans Lighting. In his earlier days, he was said to be a notable warrior on the field of battle. With violent displays of strength and heroism. Now, he is rarley seen on the battle, but rather teaching the ranks of Khans Lighting. When asked why he no longer fights for the emperor on the battlefield, he responds with: "The ultimate warrior will serve with Body when young, Words when old, and moral precept after death."
through this it is assumed that Chaplain Do'san is rather old for a Space Marine.

Juche, Battle Barge:
Juche is the name of the Battle Barge in which Khans Lighting ventures into space with. It is modified to be sleeker, faster, and more stealthy then other chapters Battle Barges.

Baekdu, Monastery:
This is the name given to the Monastery in which Khans Lightning resides in.

Je'farros, Company Captain:
Je-farros is second in the chapter only to Dan-Gun. He is fiercely loyal to the chapter and leads the companies finest veteran warriors into battle atop his bike, Obsidian Wheel.

Notable Battles and Campaigns: (in other words, big games I have played,or campaigns)

Greatly aided in the large battle "Lucky Thirteens" against enormous forces. Khans lighting was able to hold down two major bastions (though one was later destroyed), help invade a battle fortress, and secure two valuable assets for the battle. Chapter Master Dan-Gun Took the heads of two opposing Marine Chapter Masters, a chaplain, and led his honourguard against a baneblade on foot and disabled it.

Current Campaign:
The battle for Chinookus V is under way. Khans Lighting is leading the charge for their allies by securing many victories and holding the line against other invaders. This battle is still current, and it seems near a stand-still.

I hope you enjoyed reading this. I will be getting picutres up soon.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Got some pictures up. Most of these models are finished, save for a few details and bases (trying something really different fot those...)

Anyways, let's start with my Tanks:

Land raider crusader:
Yes, there are dragon heads on almost all the guns. I was originally going to make a different chapter with dragon symbols, and the land raider sort of came over to this side.

Predator (With Chronus):

Terminators:

Honour Guard and WIP chapter master:

Chapter Commander:

Veteran Squad (2 unfinished models):

Dreadnought:

Thunderfire Cannon (painted before I decided to add lightning. I'm debating adding some to him...)

Troops:

I will have more finished models within a few weeks. Comments and suggestions are always welcome :)

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

Nice, I like them very much. I haven't read the fluff yet because I'm not in a state to read much from yesterday so I focused on the pictures. The lightning theme suits them nicely and using the 'advanced' bits (like chappy's bike front) really stands out. The only thing that bothers me is the huge shield on the biker dude, it just looks out of place there. You know...like a warrior with a tower shield on horseback. As always, there's room for improvement (maybe use some black/red ink on red parts, especially chest eagles and alike) but either way, you have one great looking army. :)
A man cannot drink from a mirage, but he can drown in it.
Ulric darksoul
Assassin

Post by Ulric darksoul »

so the force of Khan's Lightnings should be expected to be a lot of bikes and scouts? as for fluff i mean.

it's a good fluff, although you could add as how they could get out the webway, and why Jagathai isn't with them.
"If you're going to leave anyone alive, enslave it!"

RP: Group 27
Ulric Darksoul
WS:5 S:4 T:3 D:5 I:3
Equipment:
- Short sword, dagger, bastard sword 5 throwing stars and Ritual Dagger.
- Sea Dragon Cloak (dark green with dark blue scales)
- 1 healing balm (H) 4 healing balms
120g+12g

Skills: Controlled frenzy, two-weapons fighting
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I like everything exept for the scouts. I just have a hard time beliving anyone would try and scout wearing clothes that brightly coloured. Its good to have them blending with the army but if it were me I would have them in more subdued colouring with the red and lightning toned down. Other than that it looks good. You might wan't to proof read your background again (a few mistakes, nothing major).
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Ulric Darksoul wrote:so the force of Khan's Lightnings should be expected to be a lot of bikes and scouts? as for fluff i mean.

it's a good fluff, although you could add as how they could get out the webway, and why Jagathai isn't with them.

Fluff wise, yeah, bikes, scouts, drop pods and rhinos. Very little Heavy support (unless it's a transport) and LOTS of outflanking. I'll add Kos'arro Khan to my lists later. I realized earlier that he makes units in Rhino's outflank, and if I take a battle company formation for apocalypse, they all enter from reserves turn 1, ouch! but a battle company is a bit in the future.

As for why I didn't mention how they escaped the webway, or for Jaghati, is because I'm still "tweaking" the fluff. I also do not like adding certain rolls for "big name" characters in my fluff. I don't want to say Jaghati died or something and have him pop-up later in official GW fluff. Plus, I think it's a little pre-sumptuous for me to say directly what happened to something so pinnacle in the WS chapter. And, secrets always make things more interesting...

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Hey all, It's been awhile, but I finally got some stuff done. I had a tournament a few weeks ago, so I sorta had to finish some models. I got 3 more later this month, so I'll update my "season" standings after. But for now, here is what I have finished.

First, this is what I am trying for my chapter symbol. A simple play on the White scars symbol. I have only free handed a few times, but I hope to get better and I do this. Especially considering I am aiming for completing 2 or 3 companies worth of marines, THAT'S A LOT OF PRACTICE!

A land speeder. I got another, almost identical one that's almost finished:

Chapter Master Do-San finally finished:

Command Squad:

Bike Squads: