1500 WoC v VC 7th Ed final blast!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

1500 WoC v VC 7th Ed final blast!

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

So, just before the new edition becomes available in Australia, I played against my local GW store manager's 'unique' tournament splice of a list. As I am not too familiar with the VC army book, there will be a lot of 'Staff of everything in 6" gets a free attack' so be warned

And YES I realise that there are no Dark Elves in a Dark Elf forum - but stiff :P I figure there are enough people who just like warhammer to enjoy a batrep regardless of the armies :)

In preparation for this game, I brought the following list;

Exalted on Disc
Flail
Enchanted Shield
Golden Eye of Tzeentch
MoT

Sorcerer
MoN
Dispel Scroll x 2

12 Warriors
Shields
Musician
Standard
MoS

12 Warriors
Additional Hw
MoK
Warbanner
Musician
Champ
Stand

19 Marauders
Shields
Light armour
MoS
Music
Standard

5 Hounds

5 Hounds

5 Knights
Music
Standard

5 Knights
Music
Standard

As I can't remember the EXACT list I'll just prattle it off

Vampire
Staff of "Everything within 6" undead gets a single free attack in the magic phase"
lv 2
Biting blade (why i don't know...)

Vampire
General
Book of free move in magic phase
Sword of Might
lv 1

Vampire
Strigoi
Hand od 2d6 Str5 hits on one unit distributed like shooting

3 MASSIVE blocks of ghouls with Ghasts

unit of 3 Wraiths

unit of 3 Fell Bats

10 -12 Grave Guard

DEPLOYMENT:
Terrain:
Basically the terrain was set up in such a way that the entire board was a bottleneck in the middle. 2 forests on either side of the board really tightened and enforced the small table (4 x 4 I believe if not smaller)

WoC:
I deployed my 2 warrior units and marauders in the centre behind the 2 packs of hounds. My Knights were deployed on both flanks. MoN sorcerer sitting on a hill on the left flank of my deployment zone. Exalted sat just next to the knights of the right flank.

VC:
The bats were deployed on top of a hill in the centre of his deployment zone. Grave guard sat in front of these. Ghouls made up the most of his deployment and sat in the middle to begin with. The wraiths were positioned on his left flank to try and get through the forest and make a sneak attack. The 3 vampires were placed in the units of ghouls respectibely.

Pregame:
The Ghouls made there special rule move and essentially blocked the small gap in the forest, basically allowing him to advance without any repercussions for possible flank charges etc. VC won first turn

Turn 1:
The Ghouls advanced again, but still just out of charge range for my warriors and in such a position with terrain that my knights would not be able to pull off a flank charge. The grave guard advanced behind along with the wraiths who set off for the the far right forest. The Bats moved up slightly, not seeing anything useful to do. In the magic phase I was incredibly outmatched and was unable to prevent 13 more ghouls being raised to the 3 units. However, I was able to prevent the book of moving dead stuff from allowing his unit of ghouls with vampire general to charge my MoK warriors. I also was forced to scroll a spell that did something along the lines of causing a single wound with no AS's to every unit of mine.

Being so tightly congested in my deployment zone, with barely any room to breathe let alone manoeuvre, I attempted to move my hounds to perhaps allow a slightly more favourable position. Everything else sort of repositioned itself to charge in the following turn being just outside of charge range. I attempted to cast buboes with my MoN sorcerer against his general, but was dispelled very easily.

Turn 2:
The Ghouls charged the redirecting hounds, but to very little effect and little advantage to me. Everything in the undead list shuffled up a little more and the bats moved next to my sorcerer in preparation for a charge next turn. The magic phase involved alot of bad casting on my opponents part with none of his casting rolls successful. I dispelled his bound spell of 1 wound a unit and so ended a rather unproductive turn.

Being backed into a corner the Warriors of Chaos refused to back away and charged. The Knights on the left flank charged the Ghouls w/ strigoi vampire on the same flank. The warriors with MoK and addit h/w charged the unit of ghouls in the centre with the vampire general. The Marauders charged the remaining unit of ghouls with lv 2 vampire, which was flanked by the exalted on disc. The remaining unit of knights on the far right flank instead of charging, manoeuvred to look threatening to the unit of incoming wraiths whilst the remaining unit of warriors with MoS found themselves unable to charge anything thanks to the congestion and sat ready to spring into action. The Sorcerer again tried to buboes the vampire general, and was again unsuccessful. The Knights on the left flank killed many ghouls and won the combat by 4. The MoK warriors, whiffed their rolls and were only able to kill 7 ghouls from a possible 20 attacks. However, thanks to the Challenge rules of WoC the champion was pummeled by the vampire lord. The combat was won by the warriors by 3. The marauders on the left flank with the exalted began to cut some stuff. The Exalted challenged the vampire, who did a runner and fled to the back of the unit. In return the exalted killed 4 ghouls and the marauders killed 1 themselves. However the exalted, thanks to poison, received a wound. The WoC won the combat.

Turn 3:
The bats charged the sorcerer, who passed its fear test. The Grave Guard moved up again, behind and congested into doing nothing. The wraiths charged through the forest into the flank of my exalted on disc. The magic phase involved a LOT of ghouls being raised for each of the units with some excellent rolling. The strigoi vampire used its bound item of 2d6 str 5 hits who spectacuarly rolled a 12 and wounded with 8 of these. Amazingly only a single knight failed his armour save. The book of moving stuff was used but to little avail other than to wheel the grave guard around to the left flank. The book of 'everything undead attacks once' was used, but was scrolled thanks to having no dispel dice left. This was painful and resulted in several dead warriors of chaos with MoK, several dead marauders and a single knight on the left flank. In the combat phase things looked grim for the combat on the right, the exalted was relieved of his remaining wound by the wraiths and the marauders were broken and run down by the ghouls. Thanks to some earlier planning, the ghouls were caught by 2 of the overhanging warriors and the wraiths ran straight into the faces of the knights. The wraiths were quickly disposed of for their former injustices against chaos. The warriors in the centre were battered by the vampire general and sustained several casualties, however managed to destroy a large number of ghouls and, thanks to a musician, won the combat. The knights on the left flank looked to be in trouble but managed to kill enough ghouls to win the combat, despite losing one of their number to the strigoi. The bats sucessfully wounded the chaos sorcerer once, but in return killed a bat, resulting in a drawn combat.

The Knights on the right flank repositioned themselves to the imminent threat of a full unit of grave guard. With little else to do, it was straight into combat! The chaos sorcerer successfully killed off the remaining fell bats. The Knights on the left flank continued to kill ghouls and won combat despite losing another of their number, however opening up a position for the warriors with MoS to charge in next turn. The MoK warriors in the centre, despite being hammered by the vampires and taking multiple casualties, were able to win the combat with a total of 14 wounds.

Turn 4:
The Grave Guard moved towards the knights preparing to charge. In the magic phase, my horrible rolling with dispel dice allowed several ghouls to be raised in each unit remaining. The Hand of 2d6 str 5 hits killed off another knight. The staff of undead stuff gets free attacks killed off several more warriors of khorne. The book of move stuff engaged the Grave Guard with the chaos knights. Thanks to some whifftastic rolling with the Grave Guard, not a single wound was inflicted on the Knights, who, in return along with the horses, slaughtered the unit to a man. Or bones. Whatever you prefer The MoK Warriors continued to put up a fight and were left with just 2 warriors left, on the positive, they were no longer in base contact with the vampires and so seemed safe. Remarkably, in response they managed to win the combat and all but wiped out the remaining ghouls leaving just 10ish left between the 2 units. The knights on the left flank managed to kill several more ghouls and won the combat thanks to the musician.

Being in a much better position, the Warriors sought bloody vengeance for the gods! The MoS Warriors on the hill who had been camping the entire game assisted the remaining knight on the left and the Knights on the right flank, flank charged one of the units that the MoK warriors were holding up. Again the Sorcerer tried to cast buboes on the vampire general, and again it was dispelled. In the combat phase the WoC thrived. The Knights on the right flank pulled a massive amount of wounds (12 or 13 I think) and the 2 warriors managed to kill 3 themselves, despite one of them being killed in return. Both units of ghouls and vampires crumbled and were vapourised - leaving a single MoK Warrior standing with a frothing mouth and a bloody banner! The charging knights pulled a massive 18 (holy crap man!) on their overrun move and charged into the remaining combat. The strigoi with several ghouls left found himself flank charged by 5 knights, along with a full unit of shield warriors with knights in his front. Suffice to say he crumbled at the sight

In the end I had wiped off his entire list - giving me quite an elated feeling as it looked VERY bad for me for a while.

Redux;
Even though I was winning combats (excluding the one involving the marauders), I felt I wasn't winning the war as it were. The ghouls just kept coming back, and my guys werent It was quite an edge of your seat game and was thoroughly enjoyable. I think the major turning point of the game was when the grave guard totally whiffed against the chaos knights, allowing my knights to effectively trash every single unit left! Having said that, my MVP goes to my additional hand weapon, Mok warriors unit. That final frothing bastard with his standard is such a great image in my mind! Holding up one, and then 2 units of ghouls with vampires by themselves for a whole 3 game turns of solid combat, and not once did they lose their frenzy! The solid amount of attacks they pump out make them a must IMO. Also musicians won me several combats, making them a must in my lists from now on for sure!
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!