Do we have more liberty now?

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Do we have more liberty now?

Post by Daeron »

Greetings!

Since GW stopped producing WFB, apart from selling the BRB in e-book version, I wonder if this gives us more.. "legal".. liberty, and wonder about the perspectives that gives us. While it's not my intention to upload PDF's anywhere, perhaps it would be less of an issue to produce a legacy database, and try to collect as much information as we can from this game of old, before it disappears from the net... Or gets burried under "the new".

If so, how much interest is there in trying to collect such information and providing it in as structured a manner as time permits? I'm thinking:
- Rules, units, and point systems
- Campaign systems perhaps
- Alternative game methods
- Perhaps White Dwarf articles
- Lists of available literature etc...

I still have a lot to get out of this game, before I've seen and done it all. Now that the competitive aspect pretty much died, I feel more free to explore and try things outside the box.

Anyhow.. How do you experience the game, now that it's in "old game" mode?

Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Do we have more liberty now?

Post by direweasel »

If it doesn't get us in trouble, I'd love to see any and all of that information posted here. It's already a great resource, that would only improve it.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

From a legal point of view, the fact that GW no longer supports WH 8th (and below) changes nothing: they still have all copyrights.
The only change is them to show to be more customer-friendly.

Anyway, there is no issue with producing a legacy database with some short quotes, this has always been permitted. Reproducing an odd drawing is fine too, as far as I know.
By the way, I happen to have saved somewhere on my computer all the pics of elven models, before they moved to round squares. Could be handy.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Calisson wrote:The only change is them to show to be more customer-friendly.

!lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol! !lol!

I guess that's a no, then...
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

a gallery of nicely painted models from GW would be nice - could I put that up?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Cultofkhaine wrote:a gallery of nicely painted models from GW would be nice - could I put that up?
As long as what it is is mentioned, I don't see an issue. But I'm not a legal person.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Mostly, what I'm pointing at is... say... an armybuilder, or reference sheets. The goal is not to deliver them in a format that they make the books obsolete. The goal is whether we can increase our own support, now that GW is offering less of it, in such a manner that WFB remains an enjoyable game.
In a few years, the information available on WFB on the net may have been burried under piles of "new shinies".

Just recently, I tried to check which models were released in 8th ed for Orcs and Goblins. I couldn't find the complete list. It's the way of things, I guess. Before the book is released, it's mostly about what models we're getting. When the book is released, it's mostly about the new rules. In time, the latter drowns out the former, and it becomes a challenge to find the information again. Eventually, the information goes off the radar, even though it never really was deleted. It becomes undiscoverable in the mountain of noise that is the internet.

Likewise, I fear that information about WFB may gradually become more difficult to find if we don't try to collect and preserve it. We have loved the game for decades, and I can see myself love it for another decade ;)
From model releases to fluff changes, to units. Anything that we are legally permitted to do to preserve the game...
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

May as well try it. Generally the worst thing that would happen would be a CDO from the Evil Empire. That would be the sign that you've gone too far, right?

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

IMO, anything that would have drawn a C&D letter from GW Legal before will still do so. Nothing has changed, legally. But if you really want to know if a specific project you have in mind is kosher, why not ask GW themselves?
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.