How to defeat Orcs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Axeman
Slave on the Altar

How to defeat Orcs

Post by Axeman »

This game was probably my greatest victory ever as I took no casaulties ecept a wound on my Sorceress due to a miscast. :lol:

The Orcs had a huge regiment of 50 something Night Goblins(with 3 Fanatics), 20-30 Orcs, 2 Chariots, a Bolt Thrower, Snotling Pump Wagon, 15 Wolf Riders, a Night Gobbo Shaman, and an Orc Big Boss. I had a Beastmaster on a Manticore, Sorceress, 20 Spearmen, 12 Reapeter Crossbowmen, 5 dark Riders and a Reaper Bolt Thrower.

Straight away the manticore went to destroy the Pump Wagon while the Sorceress nestled herself just inside some woods and the Reaper Bolt Thrower almost desroyed a chariot, causing it to flee with the wolf riders and gobbo bolt thrower crew. :D After dealing with the pump wagon; the manticore went behind some cover while the sorceress destroyed buckets full of Night Gobbos with Black Horror and lured out the Fanatics which couldn't harm anything and became a hindrance for my opponent. With a mix of Terror from the manticore, magic from the Sorceress and combat when units were severely beaten into a pulp. i won the game without using my spearmen or Dark Riders at all. :twisted:

The lesson is that when fighting Greenskins (and other armies with low leadership), get a terror causing creature in the mix and thin down large units with magic and missile power. Also, concentrate on one unit so if it flees, it may start a rout.
Save me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

I would have to say that concentrating fire is not a bad idea for facing any army in the game.

I'd also agree with the fact that terror is great against low LD. Watching units of clanrats fleeing from a War Hydra (along with a unit of Jezzails :mrgreen: ) makes Terror causing things worth their cost.
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Congrats on your victory but I think Orcs are probably the easiest army to defeat in the whole WarHammer World. They either run away or beat themselves!
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

That's not entirely true. I've seen some O&G armies do some amazing damage in a game, enough damage that no army ever conceived could have taken them.

They are unique, to say the least :D
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Althalus
The Bloody Executioner

Post by Althalus »

thats not realy true. true orcs are unpredictable but if they dont run away or fail their animosity they can be devastating.
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

I'm sure there are some good O&G generals out there but for the most part I fnd them pretty easy to pick apart

Fear
Shooting
Magic
and lastly, waiting for them to kill themselves first!!!

I think they'd be fun to play if I wasn't such a vicious killer that needs constant victories to satisfy my undying bloodlust...
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Darksoul
Warrior

Post by Darksoul »

Zentaricai wrote:I'm sure there are some good O&G generals out there but for the most part I fnd them pretty easy to pick apart

Fear
Shooting
Magic
and lastly, waiting for them to kill themselves first!!!

I think they'd be fun to play if I wasn't such a vicious killer that needs constant victories to satisfy my undying bloodlust...

I think you should have a healthy respect to each army. Orcs have their advance which is their numbers and T4. We have our movement and good leadership.

Every army should be able to beat another on their terms.
If this doesn't happen, something is wrong.
(or maybe the general is a novice)

I personally think that Chaos is waaay too tough, they need a revision fast. They should lower the stats or raise the pointvalues. I mean they can have Chaos warriors, Beastmen and Demons in their army, they have more spells and magic items than any other army...
(...not quite sure, but it seems so)

I tend to use caution when facing Orcs. Sure they do have a lousy leadership, but if they get to HTH, you'll be in a big pile of pig poo because almost every unit outnumbers you 2 to 1.

Fear is one solution, but it doesn't necesserely work. Shooting does damage, but not enough. And it takes a one mistcast to ruin a mage's day. :roll:
"The closer you are to the light, the darker your shade becomes"
Darkfox
Black Guard

Post by Darkfox »

Darksoul has it - Healthy respect for any opponent is good. Dont fall into the trap of assuming that there is a set way to beat any opponent, or that a race is inherently easy to beat.

But on the other hand having a guideline is always helpful... :?
Trust me...