how do u beat a slann

Old campaign - Where the druchii members discussed the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Moderators: Underway, The Dread Knights

Delekith
Slave on the Altar

how do u beat a slann

Post by Delekith »

topic
Mtucache
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mtucache »

response.

oh... wait... you meant the topic. okay... (I thought you might have been playing like "Marco Polo" there or something.) :roll:

Um.... CR? Break him and run him down....:?

I'm not sure exactly what kind of help you're looking for here... maybe you could, oh... I don't know... maybe elaborate for us a bit? What kind of unit is he in? What size battle? What units do you have? You know... that kind of thing. ;)
Tnt
Dark Rider

Post by Tnt »

The best way to kill a Slann is to make him flee in close combat and then pursue him. If you are lucky you catch up with him.

but breaking him in close combat is another thing...

The easy way to break him in close combat is if he is within a unit, this may sound strange but if he is standing in a giant saurus block you can use your heavy troops (CoK with hydra banner is a superb choise) but if he hides behind a unit you have to break the unit in front og him and run in to him.

These things are not easy, you need heavy magic defence, alot of flank protection and something that stops him from sending a scar veteran with GW on your chariots/Cold ones. The terradons is for mage hunting, kill them to make the Sorcs live longer... There are tons of things to say but... wel i hope that what I wrote was any help
When the lights begin to fade beware, i am near
Alkanoon
Black Guard

Post by Alkanoon »

well charged him in the flank with Malus and that was the and of that 2 genaration slann :D
Zeb
Noble

Post by Zeb »

Highborn on Monster, look for a flank or rear... Fly in, kil sauruses and run him down.

That usually works for me.
"We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or glimmering sea ..."
from 'Hassan' by James E. Flecker
Lightsbane
Warrior

Post by Lightsbane »

Anointed in cold one unit, put in a battle standard bearer with hydra banner and you've broken him, and killed half of 16 temple guards in the process. Probably even more if your anointed is well equipped !evil!
Darkness has covered the world
But in the west a bright light is blazing
Who have the power to snuff it out
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

i found the slann not being very scary after you dispatch the supporting priests
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Nightblade
Warrior

Post by Nightblade »

Don't forget your magicks while the ole frog is in battle. That can really turn the battle, aiming a nice Word of Pain at the frenzied battle while the mighty frogzard is busy being smashed to pulp by my mighty Hydra. YAHHR.
MOD EDIT: removed large image

Kalar Nightblade
Guardian and Retainer of House Nightblade
"My foes die. Accept or perish."
Olaf_ironfoot
Noble

Post by Olaf_ironfoot »

I used this to take out 16 Temple Guard + 4th level Slann

Highborn on Dragon with Gauntlet and Noble on Pegasus with Draich = 12 S6(or higher) attacks, hitting on 3's and 2 S5 attacks. This ensures 7-8 deaths per turn, works best if you hit a flank or rear
"I like women. I don't understand them, but I like them."
-Sean Connery
Kronos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kronos »

no offence guys but aren't you forgetting that within a unit of temple guard, he will be stubborn, ld 9, and cold blooded special rule. He will most likely not run if you flank him...unless you use fear causes (outnumbering) so lots of cold ones all round.

or you take shadowblade... :twisted: :twisted:
What's the most tasty food for a 'devoted to Slaanesh' Druchi?
Frog's legs!!!!!!
MWAHAHAHAHA
Alkkrision
Daemon Prince

Post by Alkkrision »

Might be nice to try malekith for a change. His magic can aid him before he goes absolutely beserk and flies straight into combat. Malus in a unit of cold one knights would also work wonders.
Mal'a'roth
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mal'a'roth »

My advise would be to kill any skink priests, flank the slann with fast caverly to give you time to get the big hitters ready. The in smash in the front and butcher the unit to a lizard. this only works in big games were you can take a unit with enogh hitting power to slaugter a unit in a charge. + there has to be sarus there.

If its by its self, a single tooled up hero\lord on a flyer

but always kill the priests
Nightblade
Warrior

Post by Nightblade »

To sum up what's been said so far:

Throw the heaviest MOFO druchii you can summon from the bottom of your toolbox. Don't give this guy an inch, or he'll eat your ant collection, and your druchii for apetizer.
MOD EDIT: removed large image

Kalar Nightblade
Guardian and Retainer of House Nightblade
"My foes die. Accept or perish."
Mills
Dark Rider

Post by Mills »

Large units of COK would do it. Temple guard may be stubborn, but they're not unbreakable. Outnumber him, and beat him with fear causing units for the auto-break.
Gijoe
Dark Rider

Post by Gijoe »

Yuppers, large COK unit with hydra banner in the flank/rear with supporting unit in the front works, I've done it numerous times to those temple guards...only prob is to get that situation set up! I normally manuever over 2 turns and then get that decisive charge in, just hope that pursuit roll goes well! Saying that though, if this doesn't happen then its pushing COK doodoo uphill...oh yes...another tip which has been pushed ( and should be pushed again... ) Kill the skink priests!!
The death wail of our hated kin is music to my ears, the strife and misery we inflict is our purpose of. All hail Malekith!
Beowulf
Warrior

Post by Beowulf »

Get a BSB with the Dread Banner, put him in a HUGE unit of warriors and an assassin and charge. Win the combat, thanks to the assassin, outnumber, he flees and just chase.
"From here, let the world be reborn."
Frogboy
Corsair

Post by Frogboy »

Oke small advice, although i am a lizard, the most common (and scary imho) combination for any slann is a big ass unit of temple guards while the slann carries the banner to make the unit cause fear, had the special slann items to give himself a 2+ ward save vs shooting and the unit a 5+ wardsave. Oh and the unit carries the banner for -1 to hit on the unit. This is a extremly expensive unit, and extremly hard to kill. It will NOT break unless your opponent is extremly unlucky. You need to kill of all the saurus first, which won't be easy. Try to think of a way to beat this unit, cold one's will not be able to break this unit. You might be able to flank charge it, but most likely darkriders will not have the power to beat the saurus in combat and will result in getting their ass kicked themself. Cold one's won't scare of this unit also. So breaking it will be close to impossible.

The best thing to do is to take a unit of harpies and put them right behind the unit ASAP, this will block it from making march moves and may result in this unit never seeing any combat. and allows you to concentrate on the rest of the army. Most likely he will just use a salamander to kill any unit trying to do such a thing.

Oke maybe i am crazy for giving advice to you druchii. But when i heard someone talking about killing a slann by sending of a lord on drakon and some hero's also. I was laughing about how much effort are you putting in trying to kill it, you storm in twice his point value.

PS the dread banner will be handy, but expect your opponent lizard to carry a simular banner with his own slann, so they cancel each other out. but you don't wanne forget this banner either because if they win the combat you will have to autorun because the slann unit is usually big.
Dragonlance
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dragonlance »

the easiest way is to break the unit with an assault then charge in with a fear causing unit and they running COK w/ hydra banner is an excellent choice for the assaulting unit
Deathraider
Black Guard

Post by Deathraider »

Just charge the slaan and try to either kill it or make it flee ( it can't hurt you alot woth only 1 attack at strength 3)
Death is near.

Beastmaster kurlan: hmm i dunno itl definately go to tournies anyway, as he has the spear and hod anyway, but its in blakc and white so woohoo kb hail of doom.
Me: I h8 u lol :P
just coz i found a legend combo and u didnt
Iromael
Trainee Warrior

Post by Iromael »

frogboy shaddup ye traitorous skink! Let them find out the hard way, sheesh...

*cracks frogboy upside his head with a louisville slugger 'n throws the unconcious carcass to Underway's Witch Elves*

...Everyone move along now, nothing to see here...
"Superior Thinking has always overwhelmed Superior Force."

~USMC

Lord Yae's Regiments of Konquata march to make war on Chaos once again, this time under the Salamander Xiquipilli Banner!
Sevwall
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sevwall »

Just 2 small corrections.

The 5+ wardsave for the unit is for shooting attacks only, as is the -1 to hit.

That is all.

As a lizard player, I personally wouldnt think you would run into the 5+ wardsave alot, because there are better items to equip your slann with. But there should always be the Slann's 2+ vs shooting.
------------------
Your Friendly Nieghboorhood Lizardman
Ash010110
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ash010110 »

A large unit of blackguard with the dread banner and 4 chariots should do alright. You throw the BG in first to slowly grind down the numbers. When there are less than 12 TG, you send in the chariots. Meanwhile, the rest of your army (which is about 1000-1200 pts minus the chariots and BG) kills/distracts the rest of his army. The BG can come out on top due to the initiative and hatred. While this may be the slow way to go, it is the most robust in terms of points spent and gain won.

May peace be with you,
Ash
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Valtor the tainted
Highborn

well it isnt to complecated

Post by Valtor the tainted »

Nightblade wrote:To sum up what's been said so far:

Throw the heaviest MOFO druchii you can summon from the bottom of your toolbox. Don't give this guy an inch, or he'll eat your ant collection, and your druchii for apetizer.

i wouldnt throw your toughpest unit at him and just because there is a slann dont meen its a high point game (after all ur opponet could be a moron) and if it is a high point game lets not forget stegadons u need ur heavy hitters for those badasses

oh btw person i quoted ur avatar rocks
Perversions of Pain sweep through your mind
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

Just weakin its gaurdin units then hit it with a fully ranked unit in the front and a good unit in the side and it will run and die
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Kronos wrote:no offence guys but aren't you forgetting that within a unit of temple guard, he will be stubborn, ld 9, and cold blooded special rule.

Actually, Stubborn doesn't carry over onto the Character. As the rule is for the Temple Guard and not the Slaan, then they make Break Tests on their basic LD, which is 8. They can make LD tests on his LD9, but if any modifiers reduce this to below 8 in combat then they can make their Stubborn roll on their basic LD8.

While you're right in that Cold Blooded on a high LD will make them hard to shift, people often make the mistake of taking unit Stubborn tests on a non-stubborn Characters LD when it should be made on the units' basic LD instead.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.