Might begin Dark Eldar

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mig el pig
Cold One Knight
Location: The land of beer, chocolate and crazy laws AKA Belgium

Might begin Dark Eldar

Post by Mig el pig »

Been looking into starting with 40K and can get a good deal on starting force but i'm wandering a bit about their playstyle.

They seem flexible but without much options.
I've only played 40K once though so I can't really estimate their performance.

6 Grotesques
Dark Eldar OverLord
8 Dark Eldar Warriors 6 met splinter cannons, 2 met dark lances
Dark Eldar Lord
Dark Eldar Lord
Dark Eldar Lord
Haemonculus
10 Wyches
9 Wyches
8 Incubi
8 Scourges, 3 met dark lances
21 Warriors
Dark Eldar Beastmaster
5 Hellion
3 Reaver jetbikes
1 Talos
Asdrubael Vect Ravager
Raider
Raider
Raider
Raider

For €240

Is this a decent starting force (and if not, what should I add)
Sentinel guy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sentinel guy »

Its not a terrible starting force. I would break the warriors down into smaller squads and pop them in the raiders - I would suggest 2 units of 10 warriors, each with a dark lance in a Raider.

Put the 2 squads of wyches in the other 2 Raiders, and have a dark eldar Archon(lord) go in the smaller squad.

Take the talos and the 3 jetbikes as well.

If you can, buy another raider and put the haemonculus and grotesques in it, and if you can get yourself a ravager and arm it with a dark lance and a disintegrator.

The army for sale above has a lot of stuff that isnt that useful these days... the scourges are expensive for what they do and the hellions arent great.

Im not sure how much the cost is in GBPs (I live in the UK), but it looks reasonable enough. If you need help building a list, or need advice on using DE then PM me as I have lots of experience with them.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Personally (and I'm a Dark Eldar player), I'd wait till the new codex is released (and new models together with it).

Nobody knows for sure when the new codex will be out so that's a problem... I'm waiting for good 3 years now (maybe more).

But with the current ruleset Dark Eldar are all but unplayable (unless you like losing a lot). Better than in 4th edition but still horrible.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Actually they're a quite competitive army if you are willing to spend the time and effort getting to know them. They're tough to use well, but if you figure it out then bad things happen.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Might begin Dark Eldar

Post by Raneth »

mig el pig wrote:I've only played 40K once

Don't play Dark Eldar (yet). They have a learning curve that can ruin your experience of the game.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Arquinsiel wrote:Actually they're a quite competitive army

No they're not, they are at a disadvantage in whatever they do... what they're good at in the current incarnation of rules, other armies do way better (or more). What they were always good at... was made impossible by new terrain rules in 5th.
7th edition army book:

Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

ive been playing DE for over 10 years now and the new rules are not kind to them at all.
id wait until the new codex is released, it being written atm by Phil Kelly.

you can check out the site below, its an eldar/dark eldar site. it can give you some insight.

http://gabesheaven.co.uk/Forum/index.ph ... beedcd96c1
you don't know the power of the darkside
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dark Eldar are simply a book released at the very beginning of 3rd edition (they were in the starter box!) and didn't see a real update since... That should speak for itself.
7th edition army book:

Trve
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Trve »

I have a ton of fun with my DE, but I dont suggest picking them up if youre new to 40k. Especially now. I can win with em in 5th, but not against top teir armies (I can beat down Nids, Tau, and Necrons but thats about it).
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

Trve wrote:I can win with em in 5th, but not against top teir armies (I can beat down Nids, Tau, and Necrons but thats about it).

I think that pretty much leaves us with the 15 million Marine armies. haha

I am a Nid and Ork player in 40k and I loved my nids up until 5th Edition. Anyway, before I bought my Ork army, I had considered Dark Eldar. But since they have never really had a book, I opted for something else.

I mainly play WHFB now, but some day, when my group gets back into 40k, I may sell my Orks and pick up a Dark Eldar army....who knows. haha
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well they may not be the best army out there, but that doesn't mean that they won't be fun. I have been building my list for a couple months now, school slows down fun O.o. I go here for my Dark eldar stuff: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/dark-eldar/ Welcome to the fun side :)

Also I would say just as a rule never mix Dark Lances with a squad you want to move, make a sniper squad for the DL. I am however no expert as I am still new to 40k and Dark Eldar.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.