1750pt Eldar. First lists of 5th

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

1750pt Eldar. First lists of 5th

Post by Venkh »

OK So I have become bored of winning with my dark elves and having heard that 40k is now a much more balanced game than fantasy I decided to finally get my hands on the 5th ed rulebook and start toying with army lists again.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to fill the force org chart with multiples of anything so no need to worry about models if you are going to suggest alternative units.

So here goes, 1750pts Eldar - Designed to be tough, perhaps even slightly dirty.

I have added a variant list which uses scorps instead of spiders and switches another couple of things around. The general idea is to be able to take all comers. Definately no tooling for specific opponents.

HQ
Eldrad - 210
Farseer - Doom, Fortune, spirit stones - 130

Troops
10 Wraithguard, Warlock - 375
9 Avengers, exarch, shimmer shield PW, Defend, Bladestorm - 162

Elites
None!!

Fast Attack
8 warp spiders, exarch, withdraw, powerblades additional death spinner - 218

Heavy Support
1 Wraithlord EML, BL - 155
3 Warwalkers, scatter lasers - 180

OR

HQ
Farseer - Doom, Fortune, spirit stones Runes of warding - 140
Farseer - Doom, Fortune, spirit stones - 130

Troops
10 Wraithguard, Warlock - 375
3 Jetbikes shuricannon - 76

Elites
10 striking Scorpions Exarch, Infiltrate, Stalker, Claw - 212

Fast Attack
None

Heavy Support
3 Warwalkers, scatter lasers - 180
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Wraith guard are generally thought of as a bad choice for there points, although I've never used them, so i can't really comment on it. (models are way to expensive!)

Love the Heavy support - that's how i usually go over grav tanks.
However the Waithlords are primarily a combat unit and you've got two distance weapons on them. I don't usually play large 40k games, but have a single scatter laser on the lords and put a few BLs in a unit of walkers and an EML or two. The unit of walkers is kinda limited to horde armies, although it will destroy them with no problems! if you want to keep them good at taking on large low armour units you could put 2-3 EML in with them. that way they can also cause pinning, and have the ability to take on some heavy armour. A star cannon is always nice if some termies turn up - if the walkers are going for lower armour, you could put one of these each on the lords.

I prefer the SS list, simply because i don't like the WS models :D Both SS and WS are unusual in eldar aspects as having a 3+ save, so its nice to see them about.

Are your two HQ going in the 2 avenger units?
Have you thought about a seer council? The general thought is its not great, but it looks cool :D
They arn't very good at dealing damage, but with the combination of farseer and warlock powers they can take almost anything!

I think that pretty much sums my thoughts up! i'm not a greatly experienced 40k player - used to play allot, but have only played a few games with the new rules :( some better advice will prob come your way soon
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Tricky.. I need to think about these..

But why the Claw on the Scorpion Exarch? You have plenty of anti-armour capability and while it adds variety to the unit, it also costs more and makes you less effective against units which Scorpions are ideal against - Orks, Tyranids, Sisters, GEq etc.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

So nice to get some feedback! Thanks guys.

I'm not sure where to put my farseers to be honest. I used to run a mechanised swordwind force and my warlocks/farseers would always be on bikes. Now I all at sea. What i have seen is that you really need Fortune to keep your men alive and Doom is required for taking out those hard to shift infantry.

The wraithlords are there for long range fire support and emergency backup for the wraithguard should they be assaulted. They arent much cop in H2H anymore as they lack the additional CCW these days.

The idea of the wraithguard is for them to sieze an objective and hold it, probably in the middle of the battlefield where they can strike out at any enemy who get too close

I loved the avengers in 4th ed and i gradually came to realise the benefit of kitting the exarch out heavily. Losing an attack AND having to get through a 5+ ward in CC makes them a decent tarpit. I plan for them to range forward in cover looking for ways to hurt the enemy

Warpspiders vs Scorps I love them both but my list lacks any punch in CC so i think the scorps are going to edge it. Taking the claw is just habit i suppose. It gilly seems to lackves the unit a chance against 2+ saves and vehicles. Something that my list really lacks

I havent actually played a game yet but i played a fair bit of 4th ed with some success. I am really looking forward to playing 5th with a totally different approach.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

So nice to get some feedback! Thanks guys.

Glad to be of use :)

What i have seen is that you really need Fortune to keep your men alive and Doom is required for taking out those hard to shift infantry.
Definitely agree! Doom, in particular is a great power. Fortune is a bit tricky to use with the 6" range but sometimes it can shift whole battles.

I think 10 points for Wraithblade is a steal and I wouldn't go without them - they are just so cheap! I don't about the Dire Avengers, though, in an army of specialized special troops a unit that does nothing extremely well is a bit... redundant?

I love both Scorpions and Spiders and practically always take both. You seem to need Scorps more, though. The Claw can be useful but I'm somewhat against it.. Don't know :) The Shadowstrike is definitely something I haven't found use for - possibly because my opponents are CC heavy too.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Just something that occured to me:

You might want to find points for Mindwar or just change the other Doom for it. It is invaluable against certain enemies and nifty against the rest :) Aspiring Champions, for example, with their wargear and personal Icons, are my prime targets.

You have 2 Wraithlords and 3 War Walkers? With Mindwar you can snipe those Nobs w/ powerklaw and safely assault the S3 mob!

Heavy weapons, special weapons, super tough characters etc. the list goes on and on.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Just a question on this. Do Ork Nobz use their mob size as their leadership in regards to Mind War? I was never sure of this, and was hesitant to bother taking it in my games against Orks.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i would say doom is still more valuable and Eldrad has it. on the other list i would lose fortune over doom. You can protect the farseer in a unit, and the unit can do allot of damage with the aid of doom. I always like to take Mindwar, but i have to say its never really served me well, although usually gets its points back.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Oh it has always served me well! Even taking out Daemon Princes and such :)

Nobs use their own, unmodified LD.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Thanks guys, I got loads of tips from various sites and have regigged my list.

Unfortunately I am abroad with work for the next 6 weeks so I am going to have plenty of time to tinker with my list before I actually et to play any games :(