PLOG! A first for me.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: PLOG! A first for me.

Post by Amboadine »

Lovely work as normal and congratulations on getting them completed a little earlier than expected.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

wonderful paintjob, I have this mini too... love the HF girls
Death before dishonor
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I love Marifet much better than Joyce. :oops:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Calisson wrote:I love Marifet much better than Joyce. :oops:

ummm... yeah likewise :P

Excellent work as always, Lion!
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

It's amazing how (apparently) effortlessly you can bring to life models :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Marifet is so hilariously well painted - her eye shadow is insanely characterful. Love the pure menace of her stare.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Thanks for the high praise everyone! I really enjoyed the last year working at a very relaxed pace and putting as much as I felt like into each one of these figures.

Here is Melekara on her Beast:

That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Some more high praise it shall be. Beautiful done again.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow! Both girls are really stunning, I don't know what else to say. :-o :-o :-o
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Mad Stalin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mad Stalin »

Hey, your cold-one is really successful! It is very realistic and the colors are strong and natural!
What colors did you use? You write us a tutorial?
My blog, nice and smart dealing with the Druchiis and Asurs universe : Charge!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Mad Stalin wrote:Hey, your cold-one is really successful! It is very realistic and the colors are strong and natural!
What colors did you use? You write us a tutorial?

He answered this previously, at least for the wings:

The wings are Vargheist wings. The colors are graveyard earth followed by a fair number of washes with Earth wash...with dwarf flesh added in successive steps. Lastly the lightest bits have some pale flesh added to the mix. Key for me doing this kind of stuff is use a large brush with a nice point and apply a lot of repetitive layers of thin paint.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

incredible!!!!
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

I want LoF to be my secret santa... :oops:
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Payce wrote:I want LoF to be my secret santa... :oops:

We all want LoF to be our secret santa!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Thetosh wrote:
Payce wrote:I want LoF to be my secret santa... :oops:

We all want LoF to be our secret santa!

Never a truer word was spoken :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK, so I was thinking about what to do for the Secret Santa thing, and originally I was thinking that it would be a chance to create a Dark Elf that was different than what I usually do, i.e. male. However, in order to make this fun...I needed to be inspired by the project. So I was trolling around my bitz and the various online sources of inspiration....and suddenly I got inspired.

So as of today..I'm not tellin'....' but suffice it to say that it will be a girl badass (I'm rather fond of thos if y'all haven't noticed :D ). From the look of my recipients postings online, I think she will fit in and have a place in the warhost.

As for the Soulcrushers, I assembled a second (metal) hydra yesterday cuz I love the model and I think it will be useful in certain situations to have two supporting the girls. Also....I'm thinking about Cauldrons of Blood...as in what will the Soulcrusher version look like. 8)
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I have not much to say about Santa, I just wanted to say:
Cute new Marifet avatar :D
(I dare say "cute" because I know I'm out of reach, otherwise I would use a more respectful appreciation).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lion of flanders wrote:OK, so I was thinking about what to do for the Secret Santa thing, and originally I was thinking that it would be a chance to create a Dark Elf that was different than what I usually do, i.e. male. However, in order to make this fun...I needed to be inspired by the project. So I was trolling around my bitz and the various online sources of inspiration....and suddenly I got inspired.

So as of today..I'm not tellin'....' but suffice it to say that it will be a girl badass (I'm rather fond of thos if y'all haven't noticed :D ). From the look of my recipients postings online, I think she will fit in and have a place in the warhost.

As for the Soulcrushers, I assembled a second (metal) hydra yesterday cuz I love the model and I think it will be useful in certain situations to have two supporting the girls. Also....I'm thinking about Cauldrons of Blood...as in what will the Soulcrusher version look like. 8)

I'm sure whatever you come up with will be completely breathaking and awesome (as all your models). I really hope we will share pictures of the gifts after the event is over. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Those girls, as usual, rock! I especially like Marifet, the paintjob is just ace and that pose...... :D
Quite looking forward to your secret santa thing and also to the metal Hydra. I don`t like the new one at all but the old one is just great (which is why I painted three of them).
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

OK so in the old days I worked only with metal...those days are definitely long gone. After spending the day painting my second metal hydra (love the model)....mostly I thought about how the next thing I wanted to paint was a) infantry sized, and b) plastic.

That sucker is heavy....and full of odd angles.

Anyway...its done. Photos to come, but I have yet to add some skulls on chains and finish the base.

Meanwhile....on to work on my next project....yet to be named badass chick who began as the new 40K succubus:

The neck has a few 40k doodads that come off very easily (and will get smoothed over with putty):

I'll cover the little ribbed section in the middle as well:

The left arm has been cut from its weapon and the forearm removed to facilitate a 90 degree bend so she can hold a different weapon.

The right arm will get similar treatment or it might not get used...it needs to have a repositioning as well....

That's all for today.....
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking forward to seeing the Hydra and the finished version of this conversion.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

So after adding a few finishing doodads, here is the new Hydra, Yanmakk:

And the two of them...Kaza and Yanmak:
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Bases...

Here's something y'all might find useful (if you don't do it already): To save some $ and keep your bases and move trays consistent, I take the lil' pot of GW (or whatever) paint that I use for my bases down to the DIY store and have them mix up a big ol pot of it. In my case for the Dark Elves, I've been using Kharadon Granite for ever and that no longer exists officially, but it does for me :D . This is a "sample size" which cost all of about $3.50 :D

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great looking Hydra and nice idea on the bulk mix. Hadn't considered that approach before.
direweasel

Re: Bases...

Post by direweasel »

Lion of flanders wrote:Here's something y'all might find useful (if you don't do it already): To save some $ and keep your bases and move trays consistent, I take the lil' pot of GW (or whatever) paint that I use for my bases down to the DIY store and have them mix up a big ol pot of it. In my case for the Dark Elves, I've been using Kharadon Granite for ever and that no longer exists officially, but it does for me :D . This is a "sample size" which cost all of about $3.50 :D

So now I get that the color would be the same, but is this a "sample size" of house paint? And that causes no issues on our minis and brushes?