Games Workshop is Not Ripping Us Off on Prices

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Liquidedust
Highborn

Re: Games Workshop is Not Ripping Us Off on Prices

Post by Liquidedust »

MangoPunch wrote:
Setomidor wrote:
Liquidedust wrote:Suppose so, but it is technically a little worse for me in Sweden since I pay the "live outside of the UK and Ireland" -tax that is slapped on everything that comes from GW. Back in the day we got the actual pound prices in a direct conversion, these days GW overvalue the pound by 25% when converting to SEK (swedish currency).

Worse for you, no. Worse for us, yes. ;)

Its probably due to the GBP losing so much in value compared to the Swedish Krona. It used to be about 15 kronor to a pound, and now that's down to about 10. On the up side, just order stuff from the UK instead!

GW passes on taxes, which is probably what Liquidedust is referring to by "overvalue the pound by 25%". Although, maybe GW is also practicing some price discrimination if they think the Swedes are willing to bear higher prices.

@Liquidedust, have you tried ordering from non-GW UK distributors?

I support my LFGS so swedish prices with a slight rebate for me (+25% on the UK prices then I get a 10-15% discount).

And yeah we pay 25% higher price in Sweden compared to the UK for the same product, and has been that way for at least 4-5 years now. (this is off the prices on their web store)

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Take for example Witch Elves:

If you buy them in UK £35
If you buy them in Sweden 420 SEK (£41)

17% higher prices in Sweden compared to UK

Though since I get a store rebate I tend to pay at the UK list price

My Hobby Thread

W/L/D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

MangoPunch wrote:While 3D printing might not make a huge difference for GW's production methods, I am more thinking about the disruptive impact of smaller manufactureres being able to make miniatures cost effectivley in smaller runs. Designers being able to design a bunch of minis and render them to order / easily scalable and low cost of additional designs (someday they might be able to just sell the CADs and you could print your own miniatures at home!). At ~$2k the cost of personal 3D printing machines is probably already there, it is a matter of the level of detail and as Dalamar pointed out issues with sharp angles.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm seeing it far too much science-fiction... but I'm seeing it as a much, much bigger change though that change may come in stages.
With the financial and market edge, I think GW can and could be the first on the market to use this technique. Alternatively, they could very well afford for the initial kinks to be beaten out of that system while smaller companies put their teeth in it first.
But in the end, it will probably balance out. There's no reason to assume GW can't follow suit with what smaller companies would try to do.

However, when 3D printing becomes the norm, the 3D imagery used as a source becomes considerably more important. Already Raging Heroes posts images of its 3D model, but why not take this a step further?
Provided the model is given a minimal skeleton around which the body parts move, it might be possible to provide configurable poses. You could amke all your Witch Elves can can dancers, or return to steady poses... Or have them do ballet. Or maybe it will be a little less dramatic, but you can introduce enough variation to make each model unique. No mold, no need to copy.
Provided with textures, the 3D model could be stylized for artwork and even animation. It would be like seeing your model come to live on screen. High res printing to make posters, sure! Desktop wallpapers? Why not.
Heck.. You could import them in "Just Dance" and record it to make Machinima (disclaimer: GW will probably not be held responsible for violent re-enactments of death night).

In time such technologies may become cheaper to make. There's tons of directions this can be taken. But it will require a small revolution in usability of 3D modelling. A revolution that miniature makers probably are just sitting out to happen.
And of course, they are protective of their IP :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have a feeling that GW will approach 3D printing like they did the internet... with a resounding failure.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

To really answer the original question you should compare GW against other similar suppliers.

Large monster
Hydra 36 GBP
gatorman blackhide wrastler 24.26
interestingly privateer press plastics warbeasts are the same costs as their metals ones so they did a GW and didn't drop prices when shifting away from metal.

hard back army book
Dark Elves 26 GBP
minions 26 GBP

so not a lot of difference.

I expect the major cost of making models and books is in the design phase rather than the manufacture stage.
The other major costs will be in the retail end of the channel. If GW sells direct, they then pick up all the store and salary costs. so it's not clear if they would make more margin.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Daeron wrote:
In time such technologies may become cheaper to make. There's tons of directions this can be taken. But it will require a small revolution in usability of 3D modelling. A revolution that miniature makers probably are just sitting out to happen.

I agree with Daeron. Mass 3-D Printing will be the biggest change the model games industry has ever seen and IP will become even more important than it is now.

The future belongs to those companies who best anticipate the directions 3D printing hardware and software will take...
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

T.D. wrote:
Daeron wrote:

I agree with Daeron. Mass 3-D Printing will be the biggest change the model games industry has ever seen and IP will become even more important than it is now.

The future belongs to those companies who best anticipate the directions 3D printing hardware and software will take...

That's the problem though, it is very very hard to protect a shape (which figures are). And models for games technically aren't protected themselves (sellings models as a model made by someone else however is if it is made by a third-party, but that doesn't technially have to do with reprinting itself).

My Hobby Thread

W/L/D
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The thing about 3D printing is though... it will change manufacturing as we know it.
CAD designers will be in demand... assembly line workers will be gone.

In every branch of manufacturing from miniatures to jet planes.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I'm thinking more the IP for the game rules and world than individual models...which people will most likely start redesigning for themselves.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

T.D. wrote:I'm thinking more the IP for the game rules and world than individual models...which people will most likely start redesigning for themselves.

Might wanna double check that, game rules is something that -cannot- be protected actually :)

Well technically game mechanics, but it basically boils down to the same thing.

Is also while boardgames heavily market a graphical profile togather with their games so they can protect them in that manner.

My Hobby Thread

W/L/D