New demons opponent.

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

mellis
Slave (off the Altar)

New demons opponent.

Post by mellis »

My friend just picked up 2k points of tzeentch demons and iv never played against them, I have no idea what to expect. I made a very rough list so let me know what needs improvements please.

Lvl4 shadow sorc-tali or pres, dispell scroll
Master-bsb ,HA, shield,cloak, (advise on what to equip this guy so he stays alive )
2x5 DR- shields,xbow,musician
2x10 dark shards- musician,shield
25 BG-Full command,razor standard
20 Executioners-full command, Swiftness
2 RBT
1x5 warlock

Currently at 1957 points.
Languste
Trainee Warrior

Re: New demons opponent.

Post by Languste »

hi mellis,

every kind of demon is better than nurgle (from the opponent-perspective)! i think the tzeentch ability is to re-roll ward saves of 1 (? correct me if i'm wrong). So nothing you can really counter or prepare for. I think the list looks okay but I don't know why you have a unit of 20 executioners AND a unit of BG... i would go for one of them and double their number (sadly that's always gonna be the executioners). you don't need the razor standard vs demons because they have hardly any armour. that master is riding a peg, isn't he? just asking bc it's not written there. if he's not let him ride a peg. cloak of twilight is all the (magical) equipment he can wear and it's the best one. Give him a 1+ armour and a lance and he will not disappoint you.
if you have any points left after kicking out the BG, invest in another unit of warlocks and/or more RBTs
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

Tzeench have a lot of Magic proyectiles (magic and shooting), so small units gonna suffer. If you want to pay shields to xbowelves join them and make a 20 model unit, otherwise you should save the points. L4 could go in this unit. You can also make a unit of 9 riders and join the L4 on a dark steed.

As Languste said, BG and Exec in the same list is redundant, I think you need more shooting (another RBT or 2) Tzeench is better shooting and casting, not in combat. In CC witches are good against demons because they don't have any armor (ws 5++). Their Screemers will go for you warmachines, take care.

Sorry for my English :P
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

I've always found Tzeentch Daemons to be tough to deal with overall as Dark Elves, just because they have so many magic missiles and Warpflame. That really exposes a lot of our weaknesses. This is especially true if they run the old 4x 10 man horror core setup and you're running a bunch of 5 man Fast Cav. One Blue Fire can wipe one of those units pretty easily if you fail your T test. Flamers and Screamers also seem perfectly suited to kill elves. If he chooses to go Lore of Metal, that also sucks for us - especially lone characters like Peg riders.

If you have access to a lot of models, and aren't sure what he's taking - I'd go for some more of things like Chariots/Hydrae which have a better chance to survive his magic and Warpflame, and will decimate his horror units on their own without help. Most people will spread the horrors out so you have to commit resources to kill a unit and take yourself out of position - but if you have chariots or monsters who can do it alone, it helps big time. In other words - he wants you to send you 450 point unit of Black Guard to kill one unit of horrors so he can keep blasting you with Infernal Gateway as you walk towards the next one. If you have 2 Hydrae a chariot, and a Pegasus Rider - each one can simultaneously be tasking in hitting a unit which reduces his advantage in this setup.

I'd back that up with some strong shooting and Life magic to try and keep your units alive.

Something like:

Level 4; Life (in Darkshards)
Peg Master BSB
20 Darkshards
2x5 Dark Riders
2 War Hydra
Cold One Chariot
3 RBT
10 Warlocks
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
mellis
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by mellis »

I understand me not liking witches is a big flaw in the army I just don't like witch elves for the fact you also need a CoB and a hag... everyone I incorporate witches the lists always seem to play the same. Trying a more mobile shooty army. If I cut out the BG and add a bit to the executioners should I get some heavy cav?
mellis
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by mellis »

I do have 2 chariots no monsters yet however. But I do plan on making my own monster soon. I like your Idea of the chariots (fav unit in the game are chariots) so you guys think life over other magics against demons? I just threw shadow out there because I like it's offense and defensive properties.
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

I think Life is good here, esp when you bunker her in a large unit. You now have the ability to increase their Toughness, and gain Regeneration - both which help immensely against Tzeentch magic. Regrowth will also be quite nice, as is the lore attribute.

I'd go with your 2 chariots, and try and proxy a War Hydra in there.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
mellis
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by mellis »

I know there is prob another topic for this but... it looks like hydra are good at killing multiple targets and the kharby (what ever it's called) for single targets?

Would my master be sage against so much MMagic on a peg flying around?
L4 with my executioners for the buffs?
Stick with swiftness banner on the ex though right? I feel like they are gonna be on the receiving end of alot of fire power.
Praetorian1979
Corsair

Post by Praetorian1979 »

perhaps see if you can fit in some magic resistance, either through banner og talismans, Ring of Hotek or the likes, there might protect some of the units on their way over the table. ?
Walk in the light and live not in fear. For We are brothers, our blood ligates us and holds us to our deeds.

Pictures of my little dark elves army: http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xPraet ... /Warhammer
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

If you just making this list to play tzeentch then I'd drop the execs instead of the blackguard as he wont have much if any armour (daemon prince or skullcanon maybe) and e 2x attacks plus stubborn and immune to psych will serve you better here.

I'd also consider a sisters of slaughter unit with life Mage and some magic res these girls love fighting daemons :-)