A test with the FAQ

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

A test with the FAQ

Post by Rork »

Well, with the FAQs always being something of a blind spot for some users, I thought I'd try something a little different, and hopefully a little bit more accessible than page after page of text.

The Forum Rules and FAQ in PDF format with pretty fonts and in black! (173KB)

http://www.mediamax.com/lord_rork/Hoste ... abbr-2.pdf

Forum specific rules/FAQs (301KB)

http://www.mediamax.com/lord_rork/Hoste ... ific-2.pdf

(Note to Firefox users: You'll probably find that you can only access the file by right-clicking on that link and selecting "Save Link As..." It seems to work in IE without any issues. The perils of free file hosting.)

All the major sections are now included in an index, which uses hyperlinks to take you straight to the section you need. Want to know how big your signature image can be? One click and you're there!

This is my first crack at this, so any feedback is welcome. I've tried to make it as usable as possible, but might want a bit of beautifying for all the style-conscious posters out there ;).

Remember the rule about no flaming! :lol:

Rork
Admin
Last edited by Rork on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Well, its definately a good start. As you say, it may need a bit more stylising, perhaps make it look a bit more like d.net.

Anyway, good start.

SZ
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Very nice start maybe make the background black and the lettering white to get the Druchii.net feel. Some pictures wouldn't hurt with the stylising. I also am pushing for the test ;) ;)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

*sets Rork's pants on fire*

haha.. I flamed you! :D

Looks good man, black background and purple/white text would look better. Good stuff man!

Fr0
Heptzul
Trainee Warrior

Post by Heptzul »

Hmm. Good, but what's with the multitude of exclamation marks?

You sound like you're yelling at me half the time and the other half of the time your using them because you think that they're cool. In my [humble] opinion, the vast quantity of exclamation marks looks very unprofessional. It really irks me.

We do not tolerate Spamming! 'nuff said.
... is fine. Your paragraph on harassment, however, has exclamation marks after 5 out of the 7 sentences. I hate to nit-pick something that you've spent a lot of time on, but it really does make a difference.

In addition, the bit at the end with the list of common abbreviations is a bit cumbersome. Isn't there a topic that contains all of that information? Why not have a link to it like you have for several of the other questions?

I agree with crazyhorse and seanzala about the background & text. A more D.nety feel would be appropriate.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Heptzul: Aside from correcting the spelling, that's literally a copy of the existing FAQ with a few images (and a prod about Khaine and Khorne :lol:) added on.

So ironically in this instance I didn't read the FAQ in detail ;). It was getting late, m'kay?

Linking to the abbreviations could be a plan.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Stage 1 beautification now added.

I would have used MA Bastarda (The Druchii Font) for the titles, but it's not the most readable of fonts. So I've used Casablanca antique, which is what you often see when GW inserts background pieces into their books articles (although that could be caslon...it looks the same ;) ).

I suspect I'll have to slice the FAQ in two so that the abbreviations post can be linked to directly from the pdf.
Last edited by Rork on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kir
Executioner

Post by Kir »

@rork, opera(very like firefox) can open it by directly clicking on it. must be some bug in firefox's non-base code.
Change the BGcolor and it should be fine.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

If I change the behaviour of firefox for handling pdfs, i.e. not using the plug-in and just opening acrobat separately, it works fine.

Computers...

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kir
Executioner

Post by Kir »

Note: the links don't work frontpage.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

kir wrote:Note: the links don't work frontpage.

...This doesn't get any easier, does it?

Cheers. I've put the direct links up which do work from the front page.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Very nice only one thing that could be imporved in my opinion. The minior headings such as necromancy, polls and off topic should be in red. If they stand out people can not claim they blend in with all the white. Also they are important and well the other important headings are red. Other than that I think I am in love.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

An idea would be to supply people with our FAQ in different wallpaper format sizes.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Damnation wrote:An idea would be to supply people with our FAQ in different wallpaper format sizes.

I assume you mean to wallpaper their rooms, not their desktop background, with ;).

The final part of the magna opus:

http://www.mediamax.com/lord_rork/Hoste ... ific-2.pdf

(All the forum specific FAQs)

You don't quite appreciate how unbelievably massive the rules FAQ is until you have to plough through it...

(read or die)

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

rork: i truly well know how messy and massive it is. I made it :P

but it does look good. If you want i can make another copy that is devided up in another folder if you want to be able to link to different parts
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Hi Rork,

Putting the FAQ and Rules to a pdf is a very good Idea. Fonts and pictures make it better readable.
Still I've got the feeling that the druchii.net background messes a bit with the text making it hard to read. (and actually I'm not a fan of white on black)

Regards, CAT
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well I think it is a nice idea. Still, I wonder... With PHPBB fora like this one, shouldn't it be possible to add a 'print' script? Such a script, added to the overall header or something could pop up a window with a semi-customized look of that one forum/topic/post such that it prints out more nicely. Similarily, the PDF could be generated either using printing drivers or LaTeX stuff. The interesting about this approach is that it is a one-time programming job to get it to work and it immediately applies to the current text, which makes the document easier to maintain. Still... I have not yet programmed such stuff myself yet and I do expect it not be a 1,2,3 job :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

It would be nice if we could get the FAQs to work like the php FAQ (Control panel -> Forum FAQ). It has a series of questions that are links, which take you straight to the answer you need.

But I don't know if that's implementable on a forum basis outside of having the questions as links in the first post of a thread, with them linking to the answers that are replies.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well... the FAQ info is kind of encoded in the PHPBB script in one of the 'program files' so it isn't looked up in a database such as posts and threads. It would require either 'hacking' the code to add a FAQ-thread or it would demand creating a new pageview such as "viewtopic" etc. This requires some work as building a TOC is not a kind of functionality supported by the classic PHPBB scripts. Hmm.... I think I was just way off with my suggestion :P
Last edited by Daeron on Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

Great piece of work. Now all you need it to get people to read them :D

You could consider adding the link to these FAQs and a simple note out with the Registration Confirmation e-mail. Then there is no excuse.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

We'd already thought of that, sadly:

The Welcome PM wrote:You will find this site's Forum Rules here. This will answer many of your questions about the site; as well as the additions to the Dark Elf army itself including the devastating Gauntlet of Power!
You can find the Rules FAQs here.
And the commonly used abbreviations can be found here.

You can see my subtle influence regarding the gauntlet of power ;)

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

Thanks for letting us know. This wonderful piece of work is more recent than even my joining date.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.