Slow Decay of Druchii.net

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Are Druchii.net's best days behind it?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:15 pm

Total votes: 0

Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Slow Decay of Druchii.net

Post by Zentaricai »

I know this may be pre-mature but... I alas...fear the worse. That is to say that Druchii.net's best days are behind it...

Topics have degraded, replies have been down, posts have been down--at least from what my "a little more than a casual poster" eyes can see

Speciifcs forums that I visit:

Druchii army lists have been pretty much been dominated by "team shennanigans" and their exclusive membership...Just a big love fests between TS and not enough contribution by others.

Druchii Tactics: really haven't seen any real interesting topics since Ash's chain link nobles...

Druchii Discussions: Nothing terribly interesting here mostly the latest "Worth it" posts...

Non-Druchii-Discussion: pretty much has turned into "place where you post Do you Sleep Naked" related posts. I think I've seen the most "action here--very disheartening...

Lesser Races: I find myself here mostly...seeing that I've been bitten by the VC bug (errrr..bat)...
This forum is still hanging in there, being new and everything....but I just don't see a ton of good banter here either...

So poll it...and be honest, esspecially those folks that have been around for a while....
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Asperon thorn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Asperon thorn »

I think it is too early to call "fire." Something interesting will pop up. I am sure there are up and coming High Lords out there that have some very unique and interesting things in the works that are just waiting to try them out before bringing them here. (I know I do. ;) )

Also, since D.Net crashed for so long, it will take some time to get everyone back. Haven't seen DA, haven't seen Ash. And a few others.

Asperon Thorn
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

I think I've been around here for a while, and to answer the topic bluntly; yes, D.net has had its best days. However, the blame for that lies at the enormous increase of quality right before, during and right after the revision. Other than that, D.net is just like any other forum (the Monthly excepted).

Right before the revision, the site was already substantial but small enough for legends like the 5ive to dwell, which all vets refer to as the good old time. That's something that just happens with small sites, there are a couple of members who make name.

During the revision, the members had to show their best sides. There was something to post for, to play for, there was something at stake. Under pressure, a new army appeared under an old name, and options began to appear, waiting to be explioted.

After the revision, D.net got a mention in the WD, a great advert, causing many warhammer players to look around (me included) and stick around, amongst who some good minds on painting, writing and gaming.

However, a new time has broken. All options have been explored, there is nothing new and hence, it looks like the quality diminishes as most is familiar stuff.

Looking at your forum analysis, I disagree on the army list forum. Sure, TS is active enough but there are still others who post lists there. I think you place the focus too much on them, really.

Tactics, as I said, everything has been explored, dared and tried. Nothing new...

Druchii Discussion always has been the pile-up of less interesting posts IMO, so nothing new there.

NDD always is mostly off-topic, now the new Lesser Races forums came to be. You can't really expect much else ;)

Lesser races is doing well, but bear in mind that this is still a Dark Elf forum; don't expect too much in-depth advice of regular players, but most likely comments of Druchii players speaking from experiences against those races.
Drizz't
Highborn

Re: Slow Decay of Druchii.net

Post by Drizz't »

Zentaricai wrote:Druchii army lists have been pretty much been dominated by "team shennanigans" and their exclusive membership...Just a big love fests between TS and not enough contribution by others.

umm altho that is kinda sad i know i posted a couple of army lists, but had very few replies, i mainly play COS, not sure if thats a good or bad thing :oops:

if anything i posted a very...interesting subject on the 40k forum if your interested in seeing. ;) im pretty proud of it.
Winning isnt everything.
Its the only thing.
Murmandamus
Noble

Post by Murmandamus »

soo decaing...are we users decaying ?

Decay is our play
Despair is our game
And only screams can be heard
When tears wake them from their dream

i don't think so, it just slowly making progress after crash.
We'll just warming up ;)
Zeth wrote:sorc on a highborn is not a good unit option
Baranthazul
Ewok of DOOM

Post by Baranthazul »

I find that I use to post 3-5-10 times a day. Now I don't see anything very interesting anymor,e nothing forces me to post my opinion, except the occasional "I'm new" or "Look at my models" post. I fear that D.net may be going the way of over great sites, and that there will be a new rising star of the internet forum. I was happy, and came here often after it came back up, but now I come here less and less regularly. I can'tve posted more then 5 times since we;ve been back up, and haven't learned that much new since then. In fact, except for an idea on using a dragon, I haven't seen anything that I A) didn't already know or B) has been a worthwhile read. Maybe its just at a lull because we were all excited when it came back up, and now we regard D.net being back up as the norm, and aren't actively posting, or D.net really has had its golden days. Either way, it is sad.
---Baran
Forum Moderator-Druchii Discussion
Skiing consists of wearing $3,000 worth of clothes, driving 200 miles in the snow just to stand around at a bar and drink.
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

Don't forget the other aspect - we move on!

I'd been playing DEs for something like 6 years and they were my only army. Recently I've started playing skaven (not SAD, quite fluffy actually) and so feel that I have less to contribute to the DE discussions.

Having said that, none of the other sites I've been to have the level of informed discussion that D.net has. Guess that's why I keep checking in here.

And these things go in cycles. I agree with the previous point that many tactics and army lists have been explored. But these will be forgotten, new members will join and revisions (in the rules and other armies) will spark new debate.

So, still a great site but I'm not sure about the future.

cheers

Sha'a'alaar
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Considering the site was down for a couple months, of course it will take some time before the community returns.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

IMO the problem is the lack of anything new out there for the Druchii.

Its been a while since the revision and the COS list has been around for a while. The options on these have been discussed in depth and although there is the occasional new idea most of the ground has een covered.

To compound all of this the enforcement of the 6 month window by GW has dried up the supply of decent rumours. Information now seems to come from named official sources - no fun there.

Im sure things will pep up again around 2008 when the DE get a 7th ed army book and a bundle of new releases.
Limenix
Assassin

Post by Limenix »

Well i must say topics are a little down lately but whe are much better of than other forums like ASUR.ORG or such.
It is the nature of our army that generates a lot of questions,
the Druchii are know as a generals army due to the many worthy army lists that can be made and the many Hero/items combinations that can be generated.It took me 85 posts and many hours of studying DRUCHII.NET to come to a point where i feel confident with my knoledge of the game.What whe need are new Dark Elf players who will seek our help and counseling.
The Druchii way of the Warrior:

When you must RUN ..... FIGHT!!!
When you must FIGHT .... WOUND!!!
When you must WOUND .... CRIPPLE!!!
When you must CRIPPLE .... KILL!!!
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Re: Slow Decay of Druchii.net

Post by Xizor »

Zentaricai wrote:Druchii army lists have been pretty much been dominated by "team shennanigans" and their exclusive membership...Just a big love fests between TS and not enough contribution by others.

Total rubbish!!!

Just give it time, everyone is slowly returning to D.net
Though Sha's point about players changing armies is important, though remember we have expanded (Lesser race forums) to compensate for this and to keep people here.

You should be gratefull we still have such a brilliant forum. My forum has about 10 members that actually post and is generally rubbish!!

I believe we still have more active member and more decent topics than any other WFB forum...

If you dont like it dude, why not move to the GW forums :lol:
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

I feel the site has gone a bit stale for a bit but for quite a few understandable reasons.

First of all the site has only recently come back up after a long period of it being down. Thus the community has not fully returned.

Secondly there isn't much going on in the game for the Dark Elves. In 2003 we had the revision which for those of us who put a lot of work into it was a great experience. It provided the whole site with a purpose and what the community achieved got us world wide fame among the online Warhammer community. From that we got a lot of new players on the site and thus discussion posts from veterans only naturally became somehwta swamped by posts from new players asking the same old questions.

Then in 2004 we had the Storm Of Chaos and the new list to discuss. This provided a focus for those who were involved as well as a new list to collect and experiment with.

Now there is nothing new to keep us active. Just the same old questions from new players and the odd tactical discussions among veterans thus the site lacks focus and direction.

However what I can see in the future as a possiblity is the release of 7th ed and a new Dark Elf book thus the site still has things that it can focus on (though they may not be here right now).
Erloas
Assassin

Post by Erloas »

I haven't been here all that long, but it does seem to have less activity then when I first started.
Its still a great place for figuring out rules. But I think some of it is that many of the things have been greatly discussed and well answered and then sticked so a lot of new players to the site don't have to ask all the same questions over again.

And its probably taking quite a few people a long time to come back after the site went down... I had almost given up checking it right about the time it came back up.

It also probably has to do with the time of the year, just like everything else it will have cycles of increased activity.
I'm sure around the time of the next big revision for the rules in general or some armies that activity will pick up again.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

As has already been mentioned sites always get peaks and troughs of activity depending on current interest in their speciality. At the moment D.net is suffering from extended downtime, nothing new for Dark Elves for a while and sites dedicated to new Army lists (asrai.org for example).

It's just natural balance in motion (or something :)).
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Zool
Black Guard

Post by Zool »

(Warning, long post ahead)

I think its a quite natural development that a forum with a somewhat onedimensional approach will reach a point where new and fresh subjects become somewhat depleted.
"Onedimensional" isn't to be taken as a degrading remark, but rather in the sense that druchii.net is almost solely Druchii players writing about Druchii stuff directed at Druchii armies. Now, eventhough Warhammer is an advanced game and eventhough armybooks do support alot of different armybuilds and tactics, there will inevitably be a point where most stuff becomes somewhat repetitive untill new revisions arrive.

In my oppinion, a natural and fruitfull development for druchii.net would be to make use of its "fame" and good name in the warhammer community, beyond just the dark elf players, by beginning to cater more to those playing other armies. The first step to doing this has already been taken with the lesser races boards, but could easily be expanded to be even more alluring to the non-druchii players.

Druchii.net is already lightyears ahead quality-wise compared to forums like for instance GW's, and the massive membercount, the great amounts of experience, and the generally high quality of posts is both tempting and rewarding for any warhammer player. By utilizing these great qualities combining them with an expansion of the lesser races part of the forums, I think druchii.net could achieve a number of great sideeffects also benefitting the original druchii population, should druchii.net become "multi-ethnic".

- By tapping into the vast amount of non-druchii players online, you'll greatly increase the amount of active members, and as such also the amount of posts.
- You'll get a new batch of selfmade warhammer tacticians who just might be able to add a fresh view on things.
- You'd have the option of asking for feedback from "enemy" generals on how they'd approach your armylist, deployment etc, rather than being limited to the theorizing of people playing the same army as your own.

I think you understand where I'm going without me writing anymore of a novel.

Now, before you lynch me for suggesting to invite the enemy into your online sanctuary, let me point out that Im not saying that druchii.net should be turned into land of confusion by becomming one big shared community, but rather that the lesser races part of the forums is made up to par with the druchii parts, meening more boards to cover the needs of other races, and ofcourse a good amount of advertising to bring people in.

Before you take the "protectionist" stance, take a minute to consider the benefits a broader group of users might bring.

- Zool
- The Covenant of Sin -
(Themed Chaos Speedbuild)
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=474185#474185
(Feedback always appreciated!)
Dhar'neth
Shade

Post by Dhar'neth »

Personally, and I don't know if others will agree with me, but I think the best days were before the new style rpg, when sneaky was our mod, I found myself constantly checking here to see if someone had rp'd something new, and could allow a response, the new style isn't really able to stimulate the same camaraderie. And now even that is down. I wonder if the management would have problems with people starting old style rpg threads in the main forums, I think that would help revive the place a bit.

My one pence.
Group 26 Moderator

Here he collected decadent works of 'art' and filled his court with sycophants and courtiers who eroded the last vestiges of the elven spirit.

Thus our weakling kin studied poetry, dancing, gardening and other nonsense, and we watched gleefully how they ran down their armies and forgot the last of the noble military tradition of our past.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I have long thought of D.net as slowly going under due to the sheer numbers. Everything has been said and done already. I have started to turn to other sites to get variation and renewal. Druchii.net is slowly succumbing and is being tugged down the drain of low quality posts. A fresh start is what is needed.

I hate to complain about a site that was o glorious and powerful in its best of days. But now all the umph has gone out. It's as fif the site collapses from it's own vast size. Things this big will eventually break apart. Just look at the Roman Empire :)

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Things always come in waves. As others have pointed out, the revision swelled the site and much goodness in general came out of it. As well occasionally other things pop up like MSU etc.

Let's face it, it is a discussion about a game, and after a while there isn't a great deal more than can be said. But there always exist people imaginative enough to contribute more to it, and there are openings available to do just that. People will come and go.

It still is the greatest and largest online community dedicated to warhammer fantasy battles. Other sites may pop up from time to time, especially when new books are released but D.net has been chugging along the whole way.

When new things are released another spike will occur.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Tenebrae
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Tenebrae »

Is D.net decaying?
Perhaps, I haven't been here long enough to know the Glory of the Old Days.

But I'm inclined to fight quite hard to have it survive, as this is the place that has probably done the most for my playing style, and given me ideas for how to use units that I otherwise considered worthless.
Unit strengths and bases are covered here.
Updates are here.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

I have long thought of D.net as slowly going under due to the sheer numbers. Everything has been said and done already. I have started to turn to other sites to get variation and renewal. Druchii.net is slowly succumbing and is being tugged down the drain of low quality posts. A fresh start is what is needed.

I hate to complain about a site that was o glorious and powerful in its best of days. But now all the umph has gone out. It's as fif the site collapses from it's own vast size. Things this big will eventually break apart. Just look at the Roman Empire

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel

i am in total aggreement with nag here, Druchii.net is being tugged down by sheer numbers now, the vast numbers of new users signing up is slowing us down somewhat, indeed things this big will indeed eventually break apart, but druchii.net has survived major upheavels in the recent year. the major crash in july [or was it june?] the civil war and the crashes over christmas. but the site is till chugging along, no matter what happens it will never be down for to long. The largest online community shall contiune to grow and change,

but that is evolution for you the winds of change are in the air, yet when the next major change comes, druchii.net will be there to see it.

Do not worry about it Druchii.net shall return to its glory days someday, the only question is will we be around to see it? i joined in the aftermath of the great revison and so i have only seen the post glow of the glory days, but those were good days then and they shall contiune to be my memories of this place, back when i was a young newb with less than 100 posts, now look at me, over 1300 posts and i was the leader of Khaine during the civil war.

i say lets us have patience the glory days will return and this time i intend to be around to see them.

Voodoomaster
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Depends on what you mean by it's best days. D.Net has a strong community that isn't diminishing from what I can see, but we have much less to volley for. We are much less likely to get any major changes due to thsi sit due to the massiveness of the latest revision that so many people on this site felt that they were a little bit responsible for which is fantastic.

What does this mean to the site? Well I for one think that it's time to open some other avenues. Expand the site into new territory and see where it leads us.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

After a while, fewer ideas are new. Much has been seen and talked about before (khorne/khaine, anyone?) - no one army has lots of stuff coming out all the time, not even chaos.

(Most of the "new" chaos models/armies you see are just updated versions of old ideas or armies)

You can't always be creating new, brilliant ideas all the time - not even with 9000 members. I've been here nearly three years...it can't be that bad :lol:.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Yes, I think so. It is partly because this site has been down all summer, people have learned to live without it and then stopped going back.
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Oldone
Dark Rider

Post by Oldone »

If this is D. net in decline it must have been quite something in the "glory days". It is still light years ahead of other fan sites, and as a resource for new DE players is quite phenomenal.

Having the archive of tactics and army lists saves newbies an awful lot of time (and money) experimenting with things that have been tried before, particularly those of us that don't have a lot of either to devote to WHFB. I'd rather read how others have fared with a shooty/all cavalry/monster focused army before I buy it and discover that it doesn't really suit me. Think how many people D. net has saved from buying a Cauldron of Blood!
You need to get out more.
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

The fact there's nothing much new yet alone related to the Druchii is proberly a major factor in this.
Release wise Mengil was the only real Dark Elf thing as apposed things like the CoS or Campaigns where we were doing nothing more than braking into lizards Houses. And have we heard anything about what we nicked?
Everything has been said. Arguments settled, rules queries dealt with. Slave units er..... well everyone knows that, Albion Items.
Its the turn of 40k with thier Nids and Smurfs, or GW trying to force different versions of LOTR on people thats detracting from Fantasy.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.