[PLOG] The slow start to my Druchii Host (Need Help)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Wargamer lester
Warrior

[PLOG] The slow start to my Druchii Host (Need Help)

Post by Wargamer lester »

I got the following for my army:
- 15 Cold One Knights (two are getting converted to Dreadlord/Master/Malus and a BSB)
- 72 Dark Elf Warriors (only 40 Shields): Plan on doing two 20 men strong Spearmen units, but not sure on Crossbowmen configurations yet
- 40 Black Ark Corsairs (building half and half with AHW and Hand Crossbows): Dunno if to do a 30 unit and 10 Flanker unit or 40 unit.
- 15 Black Guard (Including Command)
- 40 Witch Elves (13 are new ones with Command, the rest are Old School ones from when Marauder made minis for GW)
- 2 Hydras
- A Reaper Bolt Thrower
- Master/Hag BSB from BaneLords (incoming in the mail from Maelstrom Games)
- 2 Dreadlords/Masters
- 2 Sorceress
- Some bits to attempt building a Cauldron
- A Crone Hellberon model (Reaper Mini)
- A Sorceress/Hag (Reaper Model)
- the Crown Jewel: An Ultraforge Resin Dragon

My brother is handling all the hobby aspect of the army, as I am handicapped.

Yesterday the Cold One Knights where built (Photo co-star, my Bulldog Nina!):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 2cd3e9.jpg
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 244a48.jpg

Command:
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 737aeb.jpg

BSB on Cold One (used High Elf Dragon kit's Lance as Banner):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 8a7f0e.jpg

Dreadlord/Master/Malus:
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... ca16db.jpg

My brother is currently doing a conversion for Dark Riders Spider Torsos based on High Elf Archer bodies, Goblin Spiders, and Dark Elf Warrior weapons. Will build 10, dunno if to do Crossbows or not. Are two 5 units better or one 10? Asking because of command models. Help on those things appreciated. :)
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Very nice idea with the BSB. Even if it looks less like a BSB but as regular unit SB, IMO a BSB needs a standard with space for much freehand stuff.

DR: 2×5 is better, afaik. Another question is witch parts of command they need at all. ;)
Wargamer lester
Warrior

And Crossbows on Dark Rider, Yay or Nay?

EDIT
Incomplete conversion of Dark Riders Spiderelfs (second arm off due too not knowing if Crossbows are a go):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 1945b0.jpg
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 5a941b.jpg
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 125ca1.jpg
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

So far, so god! I am not sure about the spiders, but if u like them and think their cool, then go for it!! :)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Assani wrote:So far, so god! I am not sure about the spiders, but if u like them and think their cool, then go for it!! :)

Yeah, I built a tall forbody to get the cheast and arms well above the legs, and actually cut the spider in two and humped the body to give the legs a better shape.

"Luck is the residue of design"
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Are Crossbows used a lot on Dark Riders? They are almost done with just the second arm missing.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Wargamer Lester wrote:Are Crossbows used a lot on Dark Riders? They are almost done with just the second arm missing.

Crossbows were indispensable in 7th, these days they tend to do more redirecting, so the cheaper the better. You can always just add a slung crossbow if you decide you want want them later.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Work in progress shot of Dark Spider conversions (shoulder pads are from Chaos Marauders):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 19e570.jpg
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

I’m not sure I like the shoulder pads.
And doesn’t it look strange if the spiders still have their original heads?
I’d at least cut them away and replace by some armour plate or shield.
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Kuanor wrote:I’m not sure I like the shoulder pads.
And doesn’t it look strange if the spiders still have their original heads?
I’d at least cut them away and replace by some armour plate or shield.
The Shoulderpad is to reflect some armor (Dark Riders have Light Armor and Mounted bonus).

As for the heads, I'll see if he does something. I have mixed feelings as I like them and I don't like them. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Shoulder pad looks a bit strange, maybe it's just to big

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

As stated before, the shoulderpads are a bit big, maybe you should use some from space marines, they are smaller
Death before dishonor
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

how come you kept the heads of the spiders?
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Lord_Azoth wrote:As stated before, the shoulderpads are a bit big, maybe you should use some from space marines, they are smaller
No, Marine ones are bigger. I had a Marine army a year ago and remember they where huge.
As for the size, I like them a bit beefy, so I don't mind personally. After all, it was my idea. ;)

Lord Tsunami wrote:how come you kept the heads of the spiders?
My brother's reasoning was to explain the mount attack in the profile. But he is either putting a Skull shaped armor piece in the head or cutting off the heads on them later.
Last edited by Wargamer lester on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

I really like the BSB conversion and your COK generally-15!! I also like the spider/riders and don't think the shoulderpad looks that bad. The only thing is that, to me, they don't look like they can move quickly, they seem to have lost that 'hair-in-the-wind' feel of a galloping horse. Saying that though, our current dark rider horses look like they're prancing around a showground ^^
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42
Wargamer lester
Warrior

You should look how fast Arachnids can move in real life. If one where that size, it would be as fast if not faster than any horse. ;)
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

if spider were that size they wouldnt be able to move at all. it is a problem called "weight to length ratio" that does not make much sense to most people, but if you study beam bending, you can explain why elephants need thicker legs in comparison to their bodies than spiders do.

in short the bending stiffness of a beam (leg) is proportionate to 1/L^2 while the mass of a thing is proportionate to L^3. the bigger the difference in mass becomes, the less linear the length-mass ration becomes.

this is why we dont have very big spiders in real life. that and their inferior lungs. :D
Kajchi
Dark Rider

Post by Kajchi »

Lord Tsunami wrote:if spider were that size they wouldnt be able to move at all. it is a problem called "weight to length ratio" that does not make much sense to most people, but if you study beam bending, you can explain why elephants need thicker legs in comparison to their bodies than spiders do.

in short the bending stiffness of a beam (leg) is proportionate to 1/L^2 while the mass of a thing is proportionate to L^3. the bigger the difference in mass becomes, the less linear the length-mass ration becomes.

this is why we dont have very big spiders in real life. that and their inferior lungs. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXe-lu89 ... re=related
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Lord Tsunami wrote:this is why we dont have very big spiders in real life. that and their inferior lungs. :D

Next week, why dragons can't exist or if they could why they could neither fly nor breathe fire.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Lord Tsunami wrote:if spider were that size they wouldnt be able to move at all. it is a problem called "weight to length ratio" that does not make much sense to most people, but if you study beam bending, you can explain why elephants need thicker legs in comparison to their bodies than spiders do.

I'm talking about scale speed. Arachnids are fast for their size. If you are bringing real world biology into the mix, it is irrelevant. We are playing in a fantasy world where Dragons and Pegasi fly, Hydras have many heads, magic is everywhere, etc. :roll:
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Wow, you got the cold one knights lined up in an unit? Amazing - and looks good with such a big unit too.
Your BSB is pretty crispy if you ask me.
For the spiderthings... naahhh, not my thing, really. But if thats what you want you should remove the spider heads, because that just looks silly imo?
- Nevermind the last bit, i saw you already answered that bit. Sorry, my fault.
-JK.
Duranis
Warrior

Post by Duranis »

There is a really cool model from Reaper that would fit into a "spider" themed army quite well. Not sure of the size of it but could maybe work as Chariots or even a hydra.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/0 ... /03465_w_3

Hands are a little odd as I think the model originally held a bow. Should be fairly easy to make a few changes to them though (maybe add a spear for a "counts as chariot" or fireballs as a breath weapon on a hydra counts as).
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Kurl-Soulrender wrote:Wow, you got the cold one knights lined up in an unit? Amazing - and looks good with such a big unit too.
Your BSB is pretty crispy if you ask me.
For the spiderthings... naahhh, not my thing, really. But if thats what you want you should remove the spider heads, because that just looks silly imo?
- Nevermind the last bit, i saw you already answered that bit. Sorry, my fault.
The trick to ranking up COK is to glue the Cold Ones a bit diagonally and glue the riders torso turned a bit so it is looking straight ahead.