Hardest army to fight against

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dainis_silentblade
Warrior

Hardest army to fight against

Post by Dainis_silentblade »

In everyones experience which army do you find hardest to fight? Personally I have trouble fighting vc.
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

Post by Valeron the forgotten »

I personally hate fighting dwarves. Not because my record is bad against them i think i have only lost once. But because i hate all those dirty war machines. Like yesterday my dreadlord and cold ones were killed by two organ guns before they even reached combat! :(

There we go edited and i hope that is to your satisfaction also i know it would be a mistake but lol at getting told of for my typical bad typing with the word gramma XD
(sry if this seems like a dig at you mr mod but i just genuinely found it funny nice mistake or was it..........:p)

Mod: Please use sentences, punctation marks and capital letters, proper gramma won't hurt.

Iyagd, Druchii Discussion moderator
Last edited by Valeron the forgotten on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I personally hate fighting dwarves not because my record is bad against them i think i have only lost once just because i hate all those dirty war machines like yesterday my dreadlord and cold ones were killed by 2 organ guns before they even reached combat :'(

I agree with Dwarfs. Same with Valeron, my record against them is quite good, but every battle is a real annoyance and a tough grind. I just hate the organ gun.... stupid auto-hit.

The first few turns are hell. But by turn 4, I'm usually in a position to end the game with a few well-placed charges.
- Human
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'd say dwarves in 6th edition, since I haven't played them in 7th yet and core harpies make a huge difference.

And it's too soon to say for 7th, but so far Wood Elves with treemen and Daemons with cheesy special characters cause me most trouble.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

I haven't played the WE's yet with the 7th ed. but I would imagine with the lore of fire, it would be easier to handle treemen now.

The only army I've lost to with the 7th ed rules is a demon nurgle list. I've beaten dwarves, high elves, ogres, and tied the same nurgle list once.
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

- Human wrote:
I personally hate fighting dwarves not because my record is bad against them i think i have only lost once just because i hate all those dirty war machines like yesterday my dreadlord and cold ones were killed by 2 organ guns before they even reached combat :'(

I agree with Dwarfs. Same with Valeron, my record against them is quite good, but every battle is a real annoyance and a tough grind. I just hate the organ gun.... stupid auto-hit.

The first few turns are hell. But by turn 4, I'm usually in a position to end the game with a few well-placed charges.

Your exactly right with that statement on turn four my corsairs flank charged his thunderers and my assassin revealed himeself after massacering them i overran into his dwarf lord and 3 runesmiths with the hammerers and manged to kill the lord the runesmith and the hammerers before the game ended :)!!
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

i have trouble fighting empire, due to my mates good guess ranges, and multi cannons and knights.
i play lizardmen, and we hate knights.
i also can't stand a wood elf army, i find them way to good for the game, the only thing they miss is decent combat res, but who needs it when your charging out of woods from the enemies flank, while i think thier longbows are just stupid, elves are all meant to be great sharpshooters, yet we get s3 with 24", they get str4 at half range, but they are 30"..i just wish that all elf lists could choose which bows they wanted at a points cost...e.g dark elf warrior =6pts...added longbow for 6pts or repeaters for 5pts, or shortbows for 3/4.....etc

If you can do it with combat weapons, why not do it with ranged weapons???
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

mate although that rule may make the game fairer the bows for woodelfs are based on their fluff. But if you want to take them out take out some scouts go a long way to annoy wood elves as it means their units have to waste time on them and are unable to get into positions to make their dirty sneakyness count! Also if you follow up on the scouts with some saurus cavalry you should be fine...........
Malcom
Warrior

Post by Malcom »

I hate LZ more than any other army. With lots of magic and skinks with those stinkin blow guns, the game is no longer any fun for me. Once the game is not fun I get frustrated and lose.

oh yeah also chaos demons....

cheers
Do onto others, Before they can Do onto You....
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

lizards blow pipes are only good against certain armies, but when they are good, they are devastating...
i once killed a chaso special character in 6th ed, he was worth 600 odd points, and i killed him with 1 unit of 10 skinks in 1 turn...thats what you call worth your points...
the only thing you need to do against lizzies is take out skinksand QUICK...
get rid of them either by killing or panicing, and then lizardmen are vulnerable due to low movemet weapon skill, armour, and initiative.
skinks are thier to distract people and cause some good damage in the process...
also skinks are 1 hell of a good way to get their enemies units destroed by fleeing through them.
the only way to beat a unit with a slann in is shoot it till it goes PUFF...reapers are great for this.
if you want to use magic, then lore of shadow is a must have...pit of shades will kil atleast half a suarus unit guaranteed
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Lizardmen -- generally due to Salamanders. Those things can brutalize the light elements in a Dark Elf army, quickly removing your maneuver and speed advantages.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

Lizardmen-Mostly just because of the frog which holds the whole battle line together and thus making even skinks a hard unit to break. On top of that, there are many shooters in the army which decimates any elven army fairly quickly. Great magic offense and defense. They have it all... That is why I hate them. It´s very hard to find a weak spot in the army.
Genrazn
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Genrazn »

I have played vs 3 different Tzeentch heavy list any and nearly every army will always have trouble vs them. You are lucky to get into combat. In fact your lucky your guys will still be around by turn 2-3
Valeron the forgotten
Warrior

Tbh you obviously didn't think your list through cause if it was 2000 points that is one of the occasions where it is worth spending a large chunk of your points on our dear friend malkey (I assume you were playing dark elves though i could be wrong)
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Valeron The Forgotten wrote:Tbh you obviously didn't think your list through cause if it was 2000 points that is one of the occasions where it is worth spending a large chunk of your points on our dear friend malkey (I assume you were playing dark elves though i could be wrong)

Many players detest Special Characters, in fact, most tournaments where I live do not even allow them, so the advice to use X special character to defeat Y opponent isn't necessarily useful.

I found very heavy hitting list to be the most effective against Tzeentch deamon lists, but they are nasty regardless, one of the more powerful armies around atm.
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Promises
Black Guard

Post by Promises »

I quite dislike VC and WE; Tons of 1 dice casts (which I still think is horrible, no risk endless casting is rediculous, there should always be a chance to miscast) combined with Ethereal punchers etc can quite get on nerves, altho they'r not nececeraly the hardest army to fight, i just never really like the battles. Same goes for WE altho they are also quite hard (to me). Simply having nothing at all to deal with the 2 treemen you'r bound to face combined with the entire field being basically covered by large clumps of skirmishers topped with a HoDA is just... yugh
I hate sandcastles
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Vampires and Wood Elves - wood elves because my opponent is a slippery git to try and catch and Vampires because of their magic phases - it urks me to have to go magic defense heavy when Id much rather be taking other things...

Lizardmen are a difficult army to fight too: again theyre so slippery: all those high movement units and skirmishers. The only satisfying things are saurus and thats only because of the noise they make when they die! :lol:

- Beanz
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Vampire Counts - When you go to so much effort to kill something and it just gets back up again it is very frustrating
Dwarves - So much shooting and heavy armour means my whole army usually just bounces off them, not a lot of fun
High Elves- After working so hard to get a charge the buggers still attack first
Demons- Huge, fast unkillable scary monsters that never run away. Enough said
Skaven- When you are outnumbered by 3-1 it is just a bit daunting when you then realise the little rats are better at shooting and magic than you are it really gets on your nerves
Empire- Losing 2 chariots and both your Bolt Throwers from cannon fire by turn 2 is really depressing!
Lizardmen - again warriors that refuse to die or run away and skinks sneaking around everywhere that are never in range.
Wood elves- Beware of the trees. Very hard to enage and when you finally do they usually win the combat anyway.

Are there any armies that are easy to fight against?
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

the thing I have had most trouble with is Bretts, but that's probably because the only bret opponent I have around as one of the better players at our club.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Good question...

- Bretonnians can be a mess, if for no other reason than the fact that they cross the board faster than I can shoot them, and given the cavalry-centric nature of the army, they have an easier time dictating who their units fight.

- Next would be Wood Elves. No other army consistently leaves keeps on me my toes than fighting wood elves, because they can be extremely difficult to pin down. Dryads as skirmishing core, Waywatchers with ranged killing blow, Altered with the Bow of Loren, and that f*^%ing hail of doom arrow...

- After that, I agree, Dwarves. High WS and T4 and 5 troops/characters all around, with custom runic banners make the Dwarves an extremely formidable force, especially when using gunlines! Beware Quarellers with greatweapons!!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Wood Elves. They are both the main army i face, and therefore the main army that crushes me (only from time to time mind you..) It depends on list organisation more than the name of the army. Not to mention the player behind the army, but in general i wouldnt want to face a Dwarf army that was gunbuilt, or a Knight only Bret army or Empire army, or a double steamtank or double treeman list.

Much like our enemies will hate us for double hydras ;)
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

Dwarfs , VC , Deamons
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I hate ogres. They are simply frustrating to play against.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

VC: Only because of the stupid GG bunker 20 strong with a vampire in them. I can never kill them fast enough before he can raise them either through spells or Blood Drinker, damn that T4... Although I haven't played them with the new list so I could be much better off nowadays.
Wood Elves: Wardancers... That is all.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well, I would say the new DE.
Also known as Kanadian