Plog The Disgraced House of Naggarond - Unreleased sorcerer

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

The warriors are truly an ace...and these last conversions..they ROCK!
Death before dishonor
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers everyone. Sorry I haven't written individual replies but I will get around to it.

Really achingly terrible day at work today, so it's lovely to come on here and re-read all the nice things people have posted here. Here is my finished mage:

The Child of the Wastes

As is the custom with Autarii tribes, on the first night of he Child's life she was left to survive the cold of Naggaroth's desolate wastes, North of the Towers. Her birth had taken the life of her mother, and the Child was weak and small. However she did not perish that night, but from then on, the tribes people saw that she could no longer cast a shadow. The Child was cast out, left for dead a second time.

It s said that her cloak was a daemons gift, in payment for sparing her life on thy first night. By learning the art of shadow she may hide herself from the horrors of the North. With this gift, she is able to pass by norse men's camps and take food, or evade the ebbing tide of Beastman migration. Many have called her spirit, a fell banshee come to take the souls of men to the outer dark.

The cloak she possesses sifts in and out of reality, twisting in the unseen etheric winds that buffet a mans destiny this way or that. If you stare for long enough into the shadows, you may see constellations spinning in wild, furious riot. You may dream of the dead, or see nightmares stare back at you in silent vigil.

The child is often accompanied by a familiar normally taking the shape of a flock of crows, or a cat. These tricks of the light are but flourishes of her art; like shadows bent into animals with the hand, cast against a cave wall. The creatures eyes are coal black and are adorned with gaudy jewelry that the Child has found in her travels. Trusted company is rare amongst Druchii society, especially North of the towers, and these familiars have offered light diversion for the Child lost in a land of walking nightmares.

The Child hid for the Ch'Ihll host, as she has done with other warring factions she had encountered. Were Cynath not intoxicated by his mask's talents she would have gone by unnoticed. Catching her by the heel and throwing her into a mirthril shackle, the Bastard prince found a more reliable, if not more co-operative sorceress for his band. Ordering Varakaai and his executioners to kill the witches from the Watch Tower he had stolen to navigate the wastes, Cynath took the Child and bound her to his House's Sigil - an ensorcelled ring only the nobility of Ch'Ihll may wear.

The Child now acts as the Black Prince's compass in a shifting land of dreams and madness. Cynath has found that the dreams of the Dead God of his mask to be more potent around the Child and has taken her as a consort to heighten his delirious visions.

++++++++++++++++++++++

If you enjoy the miniature and wish to see more, there are bigger pictures here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/child-of-wastes-dark-elf-shadow.html

LilLoser
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Although I'm still not a big fan of gray skin tone, this figure rocks. I really like the treatment of the arm armor, not to mention the captured moment of potential and expressed movement.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Awsome cloak, awsome painted, pure epic! Gratz mate ;)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Love it! How did you get the cloak to work!? amazing! I tryed using green stuff to do a cloak and it went soooooo wrong LOL

Lovely models!
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

Wow simply amazing.
I love the skin on all your models how do you do it like that?
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Fantastic modelling, awesome painting and a really great story to go with it =)

A little bit of criticism though - I feel that the right hand is lacking in attention compared to the high standard set for the rest of the model. I get that it's supposed to be wrapped up in the cloak, but when you look at it closely it just sort of looks like the arm becomes the cloak and there's just not enough of a definition between the two.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the model and couldn't do anything near as excellent as this myself, but i just think that the hand detracts from it a little bit.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

aww man thats cool! the pose, the colors and THE EYES! really amazing stuff i must say. im very envious ;)
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Right some replies to the comments:

Lord_Azoth Cheers Lord Azoth, means a lot.

Assani Cheers dude, i'm working hard to get these completed quickly.

Tyrannus Deathbringer Thank you.

Nightcall Cheers dude. Not many people are a fan of the skin tone. A few pages back they were called sea sick elves, now they are grey and I've used the same method throughout. Perhaps i'm doing something different with the photographs that does not give consistent results.

shadowd1 Cheers dude.

Drainial Ahh, cheers for the info. I may modify this as it may be a bit overkill for them to worship wolves and then ride them.

IlMaestro Cheers man. It's wierd and I hope you don't take offense to this, but your criticism is actually one of the nicest compliments I've had.

The back story for the Child has her sell her shadow to a daemon for an enchanted cloak. The cloak is her shadow, and I wanted this reflected in the painting. The gradual blending of skin into shadow blurs the boundary between the Child's physical form and her enchanted shadow cloak. Maybe a bit too much thought for an arm, but it's what I intended and may not be to everyone's taste (I seem to divide opinion which is great; anything that sparks debate must be worth talking about).

shadowd1 Cheers dude. The skin is a base of bleached bone shaded with dark blues, purples and a touch of black in the very darkest recesses.

Saori_Nightstar Practice Practice Practice. I've destoryed sooooo many models on my way to half way decent results. There are a few tricks and i'll write up an article if you wish. A quick tip for now is to use the foil on wine bottles to help model cloaks and banners. Once you know how the cloth will work on the model you can start sculpting it with green stuff.

Assani Cheers dude.

Lazarus Thank you for the compliment. I understand that the skin is a sticking point for some and I'm really happy you enjoy the rest of the colour scheme. I honestly thought I'd get more of a reaction from the eye colour I have used.

Lord Tsunami Cheers dude. Always great to see you post a comment here.

Sorry for the late response to all your comments, criticism and compliments.

Cynath.
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Now that you've explained it, I can absolutely see what you were trying to do, and you have definitely succeeded! It's funny, but now that I'm looking at the model with the understanding that the cloak is more than just a normal cloak, I can't even 'see' what I did before that made the hand look so out of place - all I can see now is the hand disappearing into another reality inside the cloak!!!

Got to love the human brain sometimes.... and your fantastic work =) Keep it up!
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers dude. I'm glad i've won you around so to speak.

++++++++++++++++++++

Val Kraihe 'The Crow' Assassin

Studying one of the thousand aspects of Khaine the child only now remembered as The Crow has become an outcast in the fraternity of assassins. While meditating on the Khaineth Zarrid (a death blow that shatters the spinal column) a crow entered her enumerations and posed the assassin a riddle.

The child assassin unable offer a response, barred her throat for restitution. When she awoke from her trance the child assassin found a pair of knives resting in her lap, but had lost her voice to the fled crow.

Ever divorced from her elvish anima, the assassin has taken on bestial aspects and become an outcast among her own kind. Her silence has been replaced with a hideous squawk. Her feet have become elongated ending in talons. Her back has become bent, a low sloping gait replacing her race's usual elegance. With her knives she found that she could leap further, and higher than before. Her precise killing excellence had now become a frenzy of blows landed from above.

Rejected by her peers and mutilated by her masters for her deformity, The Crow now occupies the highest spires of Naggarond maddened by the riddle of the crow.

+++++++++++++++++++

For more pictures, please visit the webpage here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -crow.html

All crit, discussion and comments welcome.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Your models just get better and better...

Great work :D
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Kendoka
Executioner

Post by Kendoka »

Love that Dark Eldar Scourge assassin (very dynamic pose, further enhanced by the flow of the cloak), might steal that idea...
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Great miniatures and I love the background, really adds depth and charme to such gorgeous works.
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers all for the kind words!

++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are the Wolves of Ch'Ihll (no riders).

Here is a link to thier webpage replete with reference pictures

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... iders.html

These were a blast to paint; fantastic miniatures. CAn't wait to mount them with their Druchii riders.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Until next time.

LilLoser
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Fantastic Assassin mate, just great!!!

Like your wolf aswell, can't wait to see them with the riders on!!

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

The painting on those wolves is just amazing looks really lifelike. Concrats your skills always impress.
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Love this PLOG! Love your work! well done on some awsome models, looking forward to seeing more :D
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Cheers for the replies guys. I'm glad you like the work so far!

++++++++++++++++++++

Morathi Queen of the Druchii

++++++++++++++++++++

Out of all the Dark Elf characters Morathi is possibly my favourite. On the battlefield she is a force of nature, unpredictable, wild and exciting. While aspects of the current model are excellent, I felt there were a few things I could improve upon.

For more piccies of the Gorgon Emperess and more analysis have a look here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... uchii.html
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Like your use of the old Dark Pegasus. The moody colour scheme and billowing hair give our Queen an epic battlefield look :D
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I notice of late you're skin has become much more blue than it was in the past. Good choice!! Can I ask what you're recipe is? I may try something similar.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

It has been quite a while since I saw your (blog)post. I was already a huge fan, but you just kept improving. The conversions are dynamic and positively sublime and the paintjob matches that. It is subdued but gives so much character to the figures and everything about them just screems "EVIL, don't touch with a ten-foot pole!" I adore the blue-greyish skin. It just oozes darkelfiness. :twisted:
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

Hounds of the Black House

Nicknamed the hounds of Ch'ihll, the rangers of the Black House form the mainstay of skilled labour within the vast estates the family owns. Drawn from the survivors of the wars waged between the noble houses of Naggarond, the Druchii who choose to serve as slaves under the yoke of the Gorgon queen are given the responsibility of cultivating the mean land. As a mark of their enslavement, the hounds are castrated and sent out into the trackless depths of the Ch'Ihll estate. This is a haunted place where the more horrific offspirng of the Gorgon queen dwell.

The rangers are expected to maintain the grounds, hunt the meat for the Highborns plate, and try to keep the monsters of the estate from escaping. The groundsmen receive no payment and the Gorgon queen does not deem it appropriate to gift her slaves with fine black chargers as is so common with other houses dark riders. However, they do have their ways of getting around quickly which stems from their love of dog fighting.

One's social status is determined by how well their dog fights in the pits. The bigger and more ferocious breeds of dogs are obviously the best, so they cross breed their pets with whatever wild creatures the rangers can find. The bigger animals can be mounted and the ranger can ride them into battle.

The current emissary to the Black Prince, the only rangers from the clan who may stance in his presence, is a fearsome brute of an elf named Brelich. The previous leader was his borther, Northrelich who lost his position as alpha male because his dog was killed in a vicious pit fight. These are the only two ragners who are allowed to bear a sword - a symbol of power, prestige and civilization. The other rangers carry instruments that aid them capture the wild animals, nets, impaylers and repeater crossbows.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More photos of these nasty critters here:

http://loserstudio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... -dark.html

Cheers guys - will post up a recipe of the skin soon.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

LOVE THE RIDERS!! consider your idea STOLEN!!!
keep on this amazing job mate!
Death before dishonor
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

They look terrifying! :D Excellent stuff, as ever!
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38