Tyranids 5th ed- Jan 2010

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Tyranids 5th ed- Jan 2010

Post by Demetrius »

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... d=4600015a

Tyranids are on the schedule for Jan next year. Looks promising with 3 new plastic kits and 3 new metal kits.
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

-4 New Tyranid species never before seen in a codex, one of which will make the current carnifex "look like a dwarf". ~I assume this would be the plastic Trygon

-Tyranid Characters return... No so much individual creatures like Old One Eye, but these will be indicitive of big creatures that have survived through battlefields and evolved into something better.

-Plastic Hive Tyrant kit with wings.

-Codex is in the can and is written by Robin Cruddace (of codex Imperial Guard).

-Tyranids will have evolved rules and abilities to better counter the rapid emergence of mech that has accompanied 5th edition. (implied that Biovores will be viable)!

Yeah! cool!

On the side note:
A man cannot drink from a mirage, but he can drown in it.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Oh, the Dark Eldar thing is too true.. :)

Robin Cruddace, eh? Has he done anything else than the IG codex? Because I'm not sure I liked that.. I wonder what the giant thing might be (as well as probably everyone else here too) and I'm eager to see how he's conutering all the mech - especially if Biovores are the answer! :D

Plastic Tyrant with wings would be cool but I don't think I believe that is going to happen..

Yay for plastic Trygon! :)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Tyranids? Again? Next they're going to redo Space Marines, then Guard, and then Tau. This is getting a bit ridiculous.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Well the nids really need it, (along with Necrons and DE) because their meta game has been seriously crippled by 5th.

After nids it is sadly looking like Blood Angels are up next.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Zardock- What do you mean by Meta game?

Dark Eldar will be redone, weither its this century or next however is a mystery :?

Im not a fan of that Codex cover. IMO its far too bright. Needs to have darker colours. And more spore mines in the sky.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Well the nids really need it

LOL :D :D :D

I'm sorry but I can't really say anything constructive about that :) (Thee-hee) I still think that Necrons, Daemon Hunters and Dark Eldar need the update more than Tyranids who are regularly on tournament top10.

I agree with Demetrius on the Codex cover, the current is superb compared to that.

Tyranids? Again? Next they're going to redo Space Marines, then Guard, and then Tau. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

You forgot the Eldar ;) After which come Marines.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

The Eldar have only had 2 Codexes since I've been playing. However, I've seen 3 for Marines, 3 for Guard, and Tau were redone shortly after they came out. Eldar and Orks are set at about the right pace, everything else is too fast or too slow.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Oh I didn't know the Tau thing. Also referred to the Codex: Craftworld
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

Tau, Eldar and IG are stupid. In that order. Also, the giant thing is Hierophant if we mean the same one and it's been around for quite some time, but it was FW only. Just like Baneblade.

Marines are stupid and everyone keeps whining about them, but since there's so many around (about 60%), it's always worth having an anti-3+ armour save army for tourneys, which means they suck. Trust me. Which kindda answers Demetrius the Betrayer's question. Metagame is how you play the game because of your surrounding. IE: If everyone around you plays a lot of psyhic stuff, you're bound to put a librarian in your SM army to cockblock them, even though you'd rather have another master or chappy. If everyone tends to be tank heavy, you'll bring more lascannons even though you know missile launchers/autocannons would be better in general. I hope I got it right. :P

Nids are cool otherwise, the only thing they struggle against are tanks. The glancing hit table boost to vehicles makes vCannon pretty useless against most armoured thingies and altough run did put a boost in CC fexes, they still aren't all that good. The only ones that may pay their points back are ninjafex and sKiller, godfexes are still crap.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Ninjafex? Damn, those must be weird :? :D

How do you know it is the Hierophant that is being made in plastic?
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

Ninjafex is a Carnifex with two sets of scy talons, ws glands and toxic miasma. 4 attacks, 5 if you're lucky enough to get the charge, weapon skill 4 and opponent's ws at -1. Hitting marines on 3+, it's cool. :)

And I very strongly suspect Hierophant because the rumours of a plastic Trygon (which I'd like to see more the Hierophant btw) were on the Tyranid Hive more then a year and a half ago, but nothing ever happened and I lost hope.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

And I very strongly suspect Hierophant because the rumours of a plastic Trygon (which I'd like to see more the Hierophant btw) were on the Tyranid Hive more then a year and a half ago, but nothing ever happened and I lost hope.

OK. Sounds kind of logical, I guess. Hierophant is just such a huge model that I think Trygon would be a lot easier to do (would be the same price as Stompa) and more often used.

Ninjafex is a Carnifex with two sets of scy talons, ws glands and toxic miasma. 4 attacks, 5 if you're lucky enough to get the charge, weapon skill 4 and opponent's ws at -1. Hitting marines on 3+, it's cool.

Ah, roger that. How common is the term "Ninjafex"? My girlfriend only uses these, sometimes giving them T, W or Sv upgrade depending on the mood.
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

I doubt it'll be the Heirophant... that thing is supposed to be on par with Titans.

Still, I'm stoked. I've had quite some trouble playing my 'nids like I did in 4th edition, and I'm not very willing to adopt the 'whatever wins tournaments' type deal.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

The Heirophant is a Bio-Titan isn't it. It is definately the Plastic Trygon being released, and it will be in the codex most likely. First non-Apocalypse gargantuan creature hopefully, anything less would destroy the feel of it for me.

Zardock (Group 27)

Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Ive heard it might be the Heirodule or the Trygon. In either case it will be an awesome kit.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

I'm gonna go with the Trygon, as the kit has been shown over and over again in several pics (painted and it is different from the FW version). However I do agree that the Heirodule would be cool to but it sort of fits into what a 'Fex is supposed to do in standard 40k, the Trygon will hopefully have deep strike, and allows other nid units to follow it up through it's 'tunnel'. Would add some fun tactics to the nids.

Zardock (Group 27)