Calisson's COB

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Should I paint the statue?

Leave it unpainted
42%
Just paint some blood on the horizontal surface under the feet of the statue
16%
Paint only the base with colours in relation with your army's scheme
11%
Paint it fully, don't leave anything unpainted.
32%

Total votes: 19

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Calisson's COB

Post by Calisson »

Hi mates!
I don't post often in this forum.

How did I finally get into the idea of having a CoB?

When the new army book was released, I did not contemplated taking a CoB because of the Khainite fluff, which did not suited me. I'm more corsair-themed (go Navy!).

Nonwithstanding, a couple of month ago, I made a thorough study on the COB:
The D.R.A.I.C.H. Boot Camp – doping with a cauldron of blood
showing that corsairs with the SSS would greatly benefit from a CoB.

However, I still felt that the corsair fluff did not go well with the CoB.

Fortunately, Zardock had a great idea, expressed Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:18 am in the corsair's thread
Brothers of the Coast – Creating a Corsair League,
telling that fluff could be used to change Khainite units (including the COB) to corsairs units "counting as" Khainite.

So that was the idea!

Remember that Lokhir brought back a statue from Ind, which magic properties survived even the melting into a pair of swords (army book p.69).
I could search in that direction.

My army's fluff happens to be linked with Ind.

I took the opportunity from an unexpected professional journey to Bombay to search for a statue of Kâli, of course (if you ever wondered why I took the name Calisson, now you know).

I found it. I brought it back home.
Contrary to Lokhir, I had it not melted, I can use it as it is, with its inherent magical properties, and not needing even to change the name! (Only the "K" becomes "C").

Converting and painting.

Next step, I just had to find the DH and the two servants.
So I bought my first ever WEs, the box with the command group, and there I was, after a couple of conversions and some painting.
My army colour scheme is somehow brighter than usual for DE, that suits more an army settled in Ind.

Result.
Cali's COB, DH and 2 servants.

The rear.

As you have noticed, I tried to make the DH as similar as possible to the Cali statue.
She carries a sword and a freshly cut head, inspiring the acuteness necessary to deal a similar blow, to the troops in vicinity. Image

As the DH has only two arms, the two servants represent her supplementary left arm and right arm.
They endeavour as well to resemble the statue's respective arms.

The Left Arm with the cup.
This bowl is filled with fresh blood and spices, impulsing frenzy to those who merely smell it. Image
The Right Arm with the trident.
The arm with the trident extends as an umbrella and blocks some of the attacks, providing a ward save. ImageAs explained, the selected blessing corrispond to one of the models.
If I select KB, the DH moves onto the statue's basement.
If I select +1attack, the Left Arm instead takes place onto the basement.
If I select 5+Ws, the Right Arm takes place onto the basement.

Just to share with my fellow corsairs. :D
Last edited by Calisson on Fri May 22, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I'll go one step further than my vote and suggest you use water effects to make the "square" of the base look like it's been filled with liquid blood so as to maintain the "cauldron" aspect of the model.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I would leave it unpainted.

By the way, I am trying to complete a "Cauldron of Blood" for my Executioner-themed army in time for a big tournament at the beginning of June. Instead of a cauldron, it is a Headsman's block on raised platform. Crew will be 2 Executioner musicians as the hags and the special-order Dreadlord w/Great Weapon as the Death Hag.

If I don't finish in time, I have a regular-old CoB already painted to fall back on.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Calisson I love it.

You found a model that fits your corsair armies fluff and it willl look fine as is. It fits the fluff of your army and I do not see a reason for there to be a cauldron on the model at all, what with it being made from magical Ind (-ian) metal you could easily say they sacrifice people in front of it to Cali.

If you really had to relate it to the Red Metal from Lokhir's Blades then I guess you could paint it a weird metallic blood red with a strange sheen to it.

Awesome find none the less, I may keep an eye out for suitable serpent statues to build my Shrine of the Serpent.

Go Corsair!
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I would paint it fully - simply because painting everything and not leaving a single piece of unpainted surface helps to achieve consistency of look throughout the army. Besides, it would be quite easy to paint it - just undercoat with black, and then make drybrushes of scorched brown (heavy drybrush), then brazen brass, and finally shining gold. After that you can make some blood effects as well in some places.
Last edited by Lakissov on Sat May 09, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalthorn
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kalthorn »

It looks great as it is I think.
Really love the hags and arms reference...
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

Id do what Lakissov suggests and fully paint it. Stands out way too much at the moment. Nice idea though :)
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun